Thread: What size dust port for 16" Oliver jointer?

What size dust port for 16" Oliver jointer?

Hooking up a new DC for the shop and will be finally connecting to a 16" Oliver jointer. Any idea on what size port I should use? The main branch is 8" diameter. Many thanks, Ken

Larger ports are going to provide greater airflow which in turn will move more chips and dust in the same period of time...something you want when you are flattening wide material. A 6" port would likely be my choice for that machine if you are fabricating a hood for it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If it is an old Oliver 166, you need to make a shroud and at least a 7" port. The collection is weak as the jointer wasn't designed well for it. Newer ones are probably better. Dave

As a separate data point, the Hammer A3-41 16" J/P combo uses a 5" (well, 120 mm) ducted hood, but as others have said, the older Oliver was not built for DC, and probably needs more airflow to capture the shavings.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I have the factory made exhaust connection on my Oliver. I think that’s what it called. It does a excellent job pulling all the shaving. My cyclone is pretty robust with a 6 inch spiral pipe directly.
    Not sure what the new Oliver provides.
    Aj

I run a 6" on my 16" Paoloni jointer. Works well.