Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tough day with poplar

That blade sharpening sounds exactly like what i got back from Laguna a few months ago. Mine was in MUCH better shape when i sent it off a few months prior. I mailed it well-cushioned, it came back in the same box--but beat to a pulp, and no form of cushioning. after really burning some cherry as a test resaw, i switched to a 2 x 4 with the same result. Couldn't cross cut a 3/4" walnut pen blank. I was too angry to pursue with them, but should have. Their new sharpening service in the Carolina's may be lacking in skill. Good luck.
    earl

Laguna strikes again. A sharp blade of that size on a capable saw should be cutting a 4.5” poplar board at +/- 1 inch per second with no burning... (the wood or the operator)

Copied this picture from somewhere. This is probably how they sharpened it which could work fine with practice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am having trouble understanding why you would resaw these boards instead of just planing to 5/8".

Do you have a use for the cut-off?

I can plane off 3/8" in 2 passes

I don't know how band saws are sharpened now. Looking on line I see only Dremels and such. Mid 60's ,a place I worked
    had a machine with a ratchet to move and sharpen one-tooth-atta-time. It stood on a cast iron stand with three legs, the
    band would travel horizontally supported on wooden saw horses. I mention it just because I can't find pics. Are those
    things still used ? Human set it up ,then the machine worked alone.

Something is really wrong with that blade, you’re cutting at 1/10 normal speed....Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I am having trouble understanding why you would resaw these boards instead of just planing to 5/8".

Do you have a use for the cut-off?

I can plane off 3/8" in 2 passes
    I agree that re-saving that little off isn’t the best option. Especially because removing a big chunk off one side is asking the board to move and not stay flat.

Regardless, the OP clearly is having BS problems. My guess is a bad or backward blade. Pictures would be helpful.

Laguna sent me an message that answers the bandsaw problem.

They set their sharpening machine incorrectly. All blades sharpened during that time have the teeth “proud of the actual cutting edge”. That would act much like a blade inserted backwards.

They’re sending a new blade.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kenagy View Post

They set their sharpening machine incorrectly. All blades sharpened during that time have the teeth “proud of the actual cutting edge”. That would act much like a blade inserted backwards.

'Glad the issue has been identified...it really did point to the blade...and is being rectified!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Kenagy View Post

Good to hear that Laguna is stepping up to assure you and others are being taken of.

I guess I would have expected that some nominal inspection of the blade after sharpening would have revealed that issue. Hopefully they have also solved their process problem.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I'm glad that Laguna is taking care of you with that blade. Since you had it sent out for sharpening, you know exactly how well it can cut when it is sharp. I also have the 1.25" resaw king on my Laguna 18 BX, and when it is sharp, it cuts amazingly well on anything I can put through it (I don't really do any super dense exotics, the most I've resawn is about 15.5" of dried red oak, but it actually scares me a bit with how easily it cut through it).

I actually keep two resaw kings on hand, so that when I send one out to be sharpened, I have another to rotate in. If I also do something that destroys the blade, I have a spare to put on right away (though I hope this never happens!)

I always know when the resaw king is becoming dull though - it actually requires pressure to feed into the blade, and it begins drifting on me. When the resaw king is sharp, it barely takes any force to feed it, and it cuts as straight as I can keep the wood!

I'm glad they also figured out what was wrong with their sharpening machine, as I'll be sending in one of mine at some point in the future.