Thread: new guy with a fiber laser - help on starting settings

new guy with a fiber laser - help on starting settings

Hi there! I'm helping get our 50 watt JPT fiber laser dialed in for my wife's startup business (dreams come true!). We have multiple lenses - currently on a 200mm, also have a 110mm and a 70mm). We have spent the week playing with settings with some success and many not-so successes

Could someone share some fiber settings to help us got closer to the pin - ultimately we are looking to mark and deep engrave sterling silver, at the moment we are looking for help marking and deep engraving aluminum, brass and stainless. any help is appreciated, understand that all settings don't translate exactly! we have been using some of the Kyco settings which were a helpful starter (granted at < 50% power)

we just started playing with cleanup passes (high speed, high frequency, .08 line spacing, low power) which seemed to yield good results.

really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by pascal young View Post
    Hi there! I'm helping get our 50 watt JPT fiber laser dialed in for my wife's startup business (dreams come true!). We have multiple lenses - currently on a 200mm, also have a 110mm and a 70mm). We have spent the week playing with settings with some success and many not-so successes

Could someone share some fiber settings to help us got closer to the pin - ultimately we are looking to mark and deep engrave sterling silver, at the moment we are looking for help marking and deep engraving aluminum, brass and stainless. any help is appreciated, understand that all settings don't translate exactly! we have been using some of the Kyco settings which were a helpful starter (granted at < 50% power)

we just started playing with cleanup passes (high speed, high frequency, .08 line spacing, low power) which seemed to yield good results.

really appreciate it!

This is a link to one of the more definitive starting guides from Tykma Lasers. I believe this is all designed from the standpoint of a 20 watt source, so you'd have to equate for that, but it's a starting point that many point to: https://www.permanentmarking.com/wp-...ual-REV214.pdf
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    This is a link to one of the more definitive starting guides from Tykma Lasers. I believe this is all designed from the standpoint of a 20 watt source, so you'd have to equate for that, but it's a starting point that many point to: https://www.permanentmarking.com/wp-...ual-REV214.pdf
    Thank you, I was playing with those settings last night at 50% and not getting the depth they referred to until I increased power which caused things to get really hot wondering if they are using a small lens.

We did get our best results to date with those settings

Since you have 3 lenses... If you haven't done so yet, do yourself a favor and save your EzCad program into 3 different folders, name the folders by lens size, such as "EzCad 200", and so on. And within each unique folder it's also a good idea to rename the "EzCad2.exe" filenames, such as "EzCad-200.exe", etc... this will keep your programs and settings unique to the lenses you're using.

The reason you want to do this, is because each lens needs to be precisely aligned so the laser's output is the correct size, shape, and in the correct place based on your input. And after the laser's engraving accurately, then you need to align the red LED output to match the laser's output... it's no fun to redlight a part to show you where the engraving will be, only to have the laser put the mark 1/2mm too far right...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Kev's suggestions is great and helps a lot. Which lens are you working with? with my 20 watt, I usually have a 150x150 F210 in the machine. It came with the 100x100 F160 and it does engrave slightly deeper in most materials. I've also a F330 that I only use for shallow or delicate materials as it just won't deep engrave. With a 50 watt on silver and other metals, I'd probably start with the 200mm unless you are really needing a deep engrave quick. Each will for sure need a good variation in power to either engrave or not burn it up depending on the lens. Tykma settings are perfect for my 20 BTW. Power down 25 to 50% on that 50 watt.
    As always. Get some scrap steel/aluminum/brass..... I use the white mark setting for silver a good bit. It will give you a deep enough mark if you run a few passes.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others