Thread: Question about GF Seal-A-Cell

Question about GF Seal-A-Cell

I have some old clear all heart redwood 1x 6 T&G panel pieces. On a sample piece, I sanded off the old stain and put a coat of Seal-A-Cell on it according to the can's instructions. It's been about 24 hours and on the places where the grain is tight, it looks shiny. I thought this would be a matte look. Is it just too soon to get the matte look over the whole piece or is this normal? Thanks.

I find if you put it on thick it will be shiny. Maybe it just sat on top of the tight grain areas and the rest soaked in? I usually sand it back a bit with a high grit paper or steel wool and it knocks it right back to matte and evens it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    I find if you put it on thick it will be shiny. Maybe it just sat on top of the tight grain areas and the rest soaked in? I usually sand it back a bit with a high grit paper or steel wool and it knocks it right back to matte and evens it all out.
    Thanks. Do you just apply it and then wipe off the excess fairly quickly? Some posts I read seem to indicate continuing to apply to dry areas for a minute or two then wipe off excess. On the high grit sanding, would you suggest 320 or 400 or something else?

I’m no finishing expert but I wipe it off quickly when I have used it. I don’t remember “flooding” areas that were taking it more. I sand to 320 for those types of finishes. Now everything I have said could be completely wrong, but that is how I do it.

from GF's Website:

1. Stir General Finishes Seal-A-Cell to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can before use.
    2. Thinning: Do NOT thin.
    3. Apply 1-2 coats.
    4. Use only with adequate ventilation. Open windows and doors or use other means to maintain fresh air flow during application and drying.
    5. Brush application: Apply a liberal amount of product using a natural bristle brush, foam brush, pad applicator, or cotton cloth. Wipe along the wood grain using smooth, even strokes.
    6. Spray application: Seal-A-Cell can be sprayed successfully, but we prefer hand application methods because it is very easy to spray too much in one area. Spray very thin coats and immediately wipe or brush out runs if they occur. Spray wet films at 3-5-mil thickness. HVLP: 1.0mm-1.2mm spray tip, medium air cap. Check with equipment supplier for proper tip sizes. Click here for a general guide for spray tip sizes. Wear NIOSH-approved respiratory & eye protection.
    7. Finish sand between coats with a fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad to improve smoothness and adhesion.
    8. Remove dust with a vacuum, compressed air, a tack cloth or a water-dampened rag.

The directions aren't very specific with respect to how to wipe the finish. I rarely use S-A-C, but when I have I wipe it completely off.

John

What were you planning on putting on top fo the seal-a-cell? As I understand, it's not a top coat. Usually you put something on top of it. And whatever that is will be the sheen on the project. Seal-a-cell by itself offers no protection.