Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench Storage Shelf

Workbench Storage Shelf

Years back after watching Saint Roy do a show on the French workbench I decided that I would build one of that design someday thinking it would be a challenge and trust me it was and I included a storage shelf 7" off the floor.

Didn't take long for the advantages to become apparent. First you have a place to throw any jig, support blocks, wedges, off cut and other junk after the tool tray over flows that you just know you will need someday till you can't find any of them. The real advantage is if drop anything you know where to look for it. Case in point, dropped a 1/4" nut standing four ft away and it made a beeline to get under that damn shelf. 18'X24' of shop and at least 3' clearance for the bench, but no....under the most immoveable object in the shop.

Gotta love it and don't even mention organization, I've concluded that for folks who are just to lazy to hunt it.

Y'all have a good day

Blog Entries
    Locations in the shop that are a "catch-all" come with a fine; wasted time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Not sure what a French workbench looks like.

I'd love to see pics of it...and your shelf.

Lamar, making a workbench is a major project. Most of us would find the top of the bench more interesting! Please post photos of the ‘Roubo’ or whatever you think is French.
    Yes storage shelves can be useful. Under bench storage for me is for tools, jigs etc that I may need at hand, off cut storage is much further away.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Lamar, making a workbench is a major project. Most of us would find the top of the bench more interesting! Please post photos of the ‘Roubo’ or whatever you think is French.
    Yes storage shelves can be useful. Under bench storage for me is for tools, jigs etc that I may need at hand, off cut storage is much further away.
    William,

It doesn't have to be. Kinda depends on if you want a Taj Mal bench or just a functional bench. I can usually finish a bench in less than 60 to 80 man hours depending on vises used, less than a month while working full time at my day job. I totally agree, a lower shelf is handy and all my benches have one but like you I only use it for tools, appliances, and jigs.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Not sure what a French workbench looks like.

I'd love to see pics of it...and your shelf.
    Clifford,

Google "Roubo Bench". It is a bench with a heavy slab and thick legs for the base and likely to have a leg vise.

ken

I’m a big fan of shelves under benches. I think the best set-up is to use slats with gaps in between them. That keeps you from tossing every little thing on the shelf, but still gives you a spot to set jigs, parts, and other such stuff while you are working. I find I set my bench planes on the shelf pretty regularly. It gets them out of the way and safe from being knocked off the bench, but still close at hand.

For most of us Ken the first real bench IS a major project, both in time and size. Lamar admits as much in his comment.
    As for ‘functionality’ that is where peoples ideas differ based on what they want to make.
    I was raised at an affluent school with a room full of beech ‘Scandinavian’ benches that were wonderfully functional, so I’m a lost cause as far as benches go. I’ve yet to see a more functional bench for wood holding. The school benches were a little short for building large tables but that was an easy fix.
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 10-16-2020 at 9:50 PM.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

There must be someone here with a Roubo which has a leg vise and tool shelf!?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    There must be someone here with a Roubo which has a leg vise and tool shelf!?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

Never heard of such a thing on this forum, you must be thinking of some other place .

ken

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    For most of us Ken the first real bench ISa major project, both in time and size. Lamar admits as much in his comment.
    As for ‘functionality’ that is where peoples ideas differ based on what they want to make.
    I was raised at an affluent school with a room full of beech ‘Scandinavian’ benches that were wonderfully functional, so I’m a lost cause as far as benches go. I’ve yet to see a more functional bench for wood holding. The school benches were a little short for building large tables but that was an easy fix.
    William,

I'll still go with "It doesn't have to be". As I have stated many times the first bench should be built cheap, fast, and simple. After that learning experience build another if you must, but this time you should have the knowledge that was not there on the first build.

ken

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek

From long ago, when I didn't know better:

rouboBench.jpg

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Keeney View Post

iCase in point, dropped a 1/4" nut standing four ft away and it made a beeline to get under that damn shelf. 18'X24' of shop and at least 3' clearance for the bench, but no....under the most immoveable object in the shop.
    That's one of Murphy's corolaries, innit?

"The crucial bolt for assembly will naturally roll under the darkest, least accessible vehicle in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    That's one of Murphy's corolaries, innit?

"The crucial bolt for assembly will naturally roll under the darkest, least accessible vehicle in the garage.
    It's the same reason I own more 10mm sockets than any other tool.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut