Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-1/2" cordless circular saw, which one?

6-1/2" cordless circular saw, which one?

I decided to buy a 6-1/2", 18v circular saw (CS) after using my 7-1/4" corded circular saw all these years. Want the lighter weight and the cordless features. It will be used for DIY projects, mainly cutting 2x4's and 3/4" plywood. Have a few questions:

1. BLADE LEFT OR RIGHT: I'm right handed. For right handed folks who use a blade left CS, how do you manage to get 90 degree cuts when cutting off 1/4" from a 2x4? Having never used a blade left CS it seems that there is so little of the saw's base on the 2x4 to insure that the saw's blade is 90 degrees to the 2x4. With a blade right CS, most of the saw's base rests on the 2x4 to get pretty good 90 degree cuts.

2. WHICH BRAND: I'm looking at the Makita XSH04ZB (blade right) and XSH03Z (blade left) 6-1/2" circular saws. Any comments on a better 6-1/2" CS and why?
    PS: I'm not locked into batteries so am open to any cordless brand.

3. LINE OF SIGHT: Any right handers here have the Makita XSH04ZB circular saw? Is there a line of sight (however small) to the left side of the blade to follow a cut line? I'll check it out at Home Depot but for now, any comments?

Thanks for your insights.
    Last edited by mike sato; 10-16-2020 at 12:21 AM.

If you do not already have cordless tools from any brand consider the platform you choose based on what else you may buy later. I stick with one brand and one platform ,Milwaukee M 18. I would also recommend buying a saw that uses 7 1/4'' blades. They are way more readily available than 6.5". I prefer saws that have the blade on the right side same as all my other saws. To me this is the way I have always worked and I want my cordless the same way. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    If you do not already have cordless tools from any brand consider the platform you choose based on what else you may buy later. I stick with one brand and one platform ,Milwaukee M 18. I would also recommend buying a saw that uses 7 1/4'' blades. They are way more readily available than 6.5". I prefer saws that have the blade on the right side same as all my other saws. To me this is the way I have always worked and I want my cordless the same way. YMMV.
    Hi Mike, thanks for your input.

I decided to buy a 6-1/2" cordless to have a lighter and handier to use circular saw. The 6-1/2" CS blades I would use are available by Diablo and Makita so I'll be OK in that regard. I can use my 7-1/4" corded CS when the job calls for a 7-1/4" blade.

Like you, I've always used blade right circular saws so that's what I was planning to buy. But then I saw ripping plywood with a blade left CS on youtube. It looks like a pretty nice way to rip plywood for a right hander. Ripping from right to left using the right hand with the plywood on saw horses, the wide base and motor are over the plywood which looks pretty good.

But cross cutting 2x4's with a blade left CS seems hard to get accurate 90 degree cuts when cutting off small amounts like 1/4" or 1/2". If there's a good way to get accurate 90 degree cuts for that, I might try a blade left CS. Hoping to get some insight on how to get accurate 90 degree cuts from right handers who use a blade left CS.

Thanks.

I have an older dewalt cordless 6 1/2, blade left. There is a simple solution to the trimming 1/4 off a 2x4 issue. Turn the 2x4 around so the waste is to the left. Now the saw body is fully supported.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I have an older dewalt cordless 6 1/2, blade left. There is a simple solution to the trimming 1/4 off a 2x4 issue. Turn the 2x4 around so the waste is to the left. Now the saw body is fully supported.
    That would work if one can get used to holding the blade left circular saw with the left hand. Then being able to see the blade on the cut line pops up again.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    My recent purchase has me definitely biased but I'd highly recommend it. I purchased a Makita cordless track saw and it is impressive. It not only is a very functional saw but it makes incredible cuts that my circular saw have never come close to making.
    Even if you don't buy any tracks with it the saw is still a great circular saw. You could buy the tracks later as well.
    After recently going from "wondering why on earth a track saw is useful compared to a circular saw" to "this is an amazing tool", I am highly recommending this option.
    I was willing to buy a Festool but they're cordless offering leaves a lot to be desired. Makita has a good deal (or at least I've convinced myself of the value for my recent purchase) on they're cordless track saw. They're cordless offering is very solid as well.
    It is a 6-1/2" saw but it has a 20mm arbor. I don't see a big issue with this as the saw blades may not be available everywhere but they are easily obtained and not a terrible cost. The one that comes with it is amazing for plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    My recent purchase has me definitely biased but I'd highly recommend it. I purchased a Makita cordless track saw and it is impressive. It not only is a very functional saw but it makes incredible cuts that my circular saw have never come close to making.
    Even if you don't buy any tracks with it the saw is still a great circular saw. You could buy the tracks later as well.
    After recently going from "wondering why on earth a track saw is useful compared to a circular saw" to "this is an amazing tool", I am highly recommending this option.
    I was willing to buy a Festool but they're cordless offering leaves a lot to be desired. Makita has a good deal (or at least I've convinced myself of the value for my recent purchase) on they're cordless track saw. They're cordless offering is very solid as well.
    It is a 6-1/2" saw but it has a 20mm arbor. I don't see a big issue with this as the saw blades may not be available everywhere but they are easily obtained and not a terrible cost. The one that comes with it is amazing for plywood.
    Hi Eric,
    Thanks a lot for contributing. I just checked out the Makita track saw system and it looks like a fine product. I'm just a home repair DIY guy and I cut 2x4's a lot more often than I need to cut sheet plywood. So just a normal circular saw that is light and handy at a lower cost will work fine for me.

Appreciate your input.

I restarted my cordless collection and settled on the Dewalt 20V brushless tools. I’m trimming out my basement right now am am using the heck out of the circ saw. Really like it

Quote Originally Posted by mike sato View Post
    Hoping to get some insight on how to get accurate 90 degree cuts from right handers who use a blade left CS.
    Measure twice cut once :-).

You can put a piece of 2x (or whatever you’re cutting) to the right so the saw base is fully supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    I restarted my cordless collection and settled on the Dewalt 20V brushless tools. I’m trimming out my basement right now am am using the heck out of the circ saw. Really like it
    Thanks a lot for your input Bob. I Googled plus searched HomeDepot.com for 6-1/2" cordless circular saw but only the blade left model was found. I decided to get a blade right CS which I'll explain why in a subsequent post. Thanks again for contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmid View Post
    Measure twice cut once :-).

You can put a piece of 2x (or whatever you’re cutting) to the right so the saw base is fully supported.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure how I could do what you suggested but I've decided to buy a blade right circular saw so it's now a non issue. Thanks again.

Thanks folks for your input. While doing more research, I just saw a youtube video that mentioned that using a blade left circular saw can be more dangerous if holding a speed square with the left hand, since the hand will be close to the blade.

Since I always use a speed square to cut 2x4's, that situation would be constant using a blade left CS. So that info along with not knowing how to get accurate 90 degree cuts on a 2x4 when the waste is short, I decided to buy a blade right cordless CS. I'll try the Makita XSH04ZB.

Thanks for the suggestions.

A blade right, 6 1/2" circular saw is the exact opposite of what I'd recommend. I use these things to make a living, every day. 6 1/2" blade is a ridiculous thing, they are a holdover from some previous dead tech that needs to just stop already. Anything a 6 1/2" can do, a 7 1/4" can do better and give you the ability to use practically any saw blade on the market.

Blade right is silly for a right hander to. Why would you not want to see the blade when you are cutting????? Good luck trying to use a cut indicator line on a skinny little 2x4. I'll bet you that I could cut ten 1/2" slivers off a 2x4 with a left blade saw while a right blade guy is still messing with his speed square because I can see the blade all the way through the cut.

Are you sure you want a circular saw, sounds like a chop or scms might be better for you? A circular saw is a dangerous tool, no matter which side the blade is on. I never let new guys run one until they get LOTS of experience on all the other saws. Some never do learn to use one safely and correctly. Used correctly though, there is no more capable framing saw.

Never used anything but left blade wormdrives my whole life. I tried right blade saws once or twice. I now have the 6 1/2 " left side Makita. It is much lighter than their 7 1/4" left side cordless or my Bosch wormdrive. Use it for almost everything.

I have a Skil cordless circular saw, 6.5 inches. I wasn't sure what to expect but it does a good job and the battery lasts a long time.