Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta Shaper

My spring hold down post just reminded me of another thing I don't like about the E. Stevenson shaper book. Don't think
    it mentions spring hold downs. He does mention a combo guard - pressure bar. But I was unable to find a suplier that
    knew what I was talking about. That includes Schimdt ,which is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Thanks,Mike. This is always it goes. Get something for short money and with the accessories you find out what it will cost. What is an appropriate feeder for this shaper. It is a 43-375. As I look it over, it is a really nice piece of equipment. I have ordered a handful of those “No Bozos” stickers. I’m putting them on the shop doors.
    I have the same exact machine and have a 3 wheeled 1/2 hp, Comatic power feeder on it. Mine is mounted to the left of the spindle, as facing the door. The motor is mounted to the inside right of the machine, from the door, and the electrical contactor box is also on the right side. This way the power feeder and the motor were not on the same side of the machine because Mel is correct, you do need to worry about the weight of the power feeder making the machine unstable when not in use. All of the weight is high, relative to the height of the machine. I take mine off, or position it so that it centers over the machine when not in use.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    My spring hold down post just reminded me of another thing I don't like about the E. Stevenson shaper book. Don't think
    it mentions spring hold downs. He does mention a combo guard - pressure bar. But I was unable to find a suplier that
    knew what I was talking about. That includes Schimdt ,which is pretty good.
    I believe that Stephenson mentions and illustrates Shaw guards frequently in his book. My shaper came from the factory with a Shaw guard, I use it frequently.

The feeder is important and for that machine a 3 wheel 1/2 HP will be suitable.

Shapers are really versatile, nice to see someone getting started on it.........Rod.

Blog Entries
    I have a shaper and it does fine. I wear safety glasses and use a push stick.

My drillpress is a bit top heavy with a cast iron belt guard on the very top. It is bolted to a riser block about 12" tall. That riser is full of old motors and cans of nuts and bolts for ballast.

Rod, I couldn't think up the name Shaw Guard yesterday. But when I was trying to find one I was asking for it by the
    correct name.