Thread: Garage shop/entertainment flooring suggestions?

Garage shop/entertainment flooring suggestions?

I have a 3 car garage that's going to serve as a mixed shop and pool table/beer fridge/stereo area (with a pinball machine if I can wedge it in). Currently the floor is concrete, and in good condition - dry and flat with a couple of spots I need to grind down. The ceiling is relatively low at 8'. I'm looking for options to make the space a little less concrete-y, and I'm curious about folks' opinions.

Tools wise, I've got stuff on wheels: table saw, band saw, hopefully a 8" jointer at some point. I expect given the small size that I will be rolling things around.
    Entertainment wise, the big one is the pool table (full sized, 1.5" slate, heavy as ... well, it's heavy).

What do folks like? Does luxury vinyl plank hold up to casters? I like that it's waterproof and thin since I don't have a lot of head room to start with.

Paint. Well actually garage floor coating. It doesn’t impact your headroom. It is more durable under heavy loads than vinyl plank flooring.

I have vinyl planks over concrete in my shop. I'm very happy with it. Spilled glue pops right off. I don't constantly roll tools across it, but when I recently moved an 800 lb machine from where it was sitting for the past 2 years, there was not even a dent from the casters on the mobile base. Don't spill any petroleum products on it! I had some kerosene leak from an antique heater that was not in use - it was on the floor a few hours before I noticed. The kerosene soaked in and swelled the planks and I had to replace a section. I bought some of the cheap stuff at lowes, about $2 sf. It does get slippery with a layer of sawdust on it, but I keep a very clean shop. I've painted concrete before, won't try that again. If budget is no problem, a professional epoxy job would be the ultimate for durability. I like the wood floor look in my shop
    Last edited by Brian Behrens; 10-16-2020 at 7:51 AM.

Friends had their basement slab etched and stained --looked like stone slab when done. Not sure if it would be a DIY project tho. They had pros do it and it looks great.