Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What's the best way to fix this assembly table / cabinet?

I just looked up “low profile HEavy duty casters” there are many to choose from. This one https://www.accesscasters.com/2SBM74...-with-bra.aspx at 2 3/4” overall height as an example. For the threaded casters you could drill up into the leg and epoxy a rod coupling into the leg to accommodate the threaded stem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Ok, now the second issue.

Looking at materials to build the top, or perhaps buy a top and modify it to size.

The best size I think considering the cabinet base below, and to allow sufficient space on the sides is 73" x 32". Of course if I choose to buy one, that extra inch from 72" might be a non-starter and I might have to stick to 72".

My questions are (and I know some of this is covered by some old threads which I have looked for):

1.) Is a 1-1/2" top thick enough for dogs? I know that it's probably too thin for a holdfast (is that true), but I haven't ever used one.
    My opinion, you don't need a top thicker than 3/4" to use bench dogs. It=f you want to use clamps that go through the dog holes, you can't go thicker or you can't get the clamp in.

2.) I was planning to make holes every 4", but the Woodpecker jig I have had for this for about a year, makes the holes every 3-3/4" on center. Weird. It's about 96mm, so it's not a convenient metric spacing either. Weird.
    Metric dogs are set at 96mm, 3 x 32mm, that's where that spacing comes in

3.) I was planning on using hardwoods. Still not sure which one. Suggestions? I don't know if I can easily get Red Beech, so perhaps something else (? Maple).
    I use plywood and 3/4" edgeband solid wood. Do you need this to be a piece of furniture or a workbench?

5.) Is 1-1/2" to thin to build or buy an end-vise, and have it work?
    I don't think so, but you always reinforce it underneath where necessary.

6.) Advantages / Disadvantages for making an end-grain butcher block top vs just using long face grain pieces.

See answer to #3.
    My comments above.

My workbench, designed for storage and built to be used as either and indeed or outfeed table for my Sawstop. If doing it again, I would have built the top with bench dog holes. Now I have a 3/4" sheet of MDF that I lay on top when I need to do something where I need the dog holes.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 11-03-2020 at 11:34 PM.