Thread: Oneida Router dust collection - any good?

Oneida Router dust collection - any good?

Morning all,

I might have a project coming up that will require a lot of relief routing, for an relatively large insert. The amount of chips produced when I did a prototype was amazing so I'm shopping for a chip collection method. I have a Makita 1101 router. Makita makes an add on collector but reviews aren't that great, particularly that the outlet is odd sized and difficult to get a good connection to the hose.

More googling led me to this Oneida product. Would like to hear any feedback from anyone who has tried it.

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I cant answer.... but I have one that I haven't put in on yet. Guess I didn't need it as bad as I thought
    But I think anything you can do for dust control on a router is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Morning all,

I might have a project coming up that will require a lot of relief routing, for an relatively large insert. The amount of chips produced when I did a prototype was amazing so I'm shopping for a chip collection method. I have a Makita 1101 router. Makita makes an add on collector but reviews aren't that great, particularly that the outlet is odd sized and difficult to get a good connection to the hose.

More googling led me to this Oneida product. Would like to hear any feedback from anyone who has tried it.

Thanks!

Have one I use on a PC 690 with a rabbeting bit, stays on it all the time
    Not crazy about it, however if it ever breaks it will get replaced immediately with another just like it
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Have one I use on a PC 690 with a rabbeting bit, stays on it all the time
    Not crazy about it, however if it ever breaks it will get replaced immediately with another just like it
    Ron
    Hi Ron, can you provide some more info about what shortcomings you found with it?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

just how I feel about it, for the price it is what it is. it will be replaced if it breaks
    definitely use it when I rabbet something, would also use it if routing an edge for any reason, someday will try it on a dadoo
    sure is less mess in the shop when it is used verus without
    not really a router person, have about 8-12 of them, prefer to keep setup for specific jobs, just don't use them a lot
    Ron

Thanks Ron.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I haven't been able to find any other universal router dust fitting, so I think I'll give this one a try.

Blog Entries
    I have the original Rockler edge routing collector. It works well but, only for edge work of that type. Their new version looks a bit more refined. I have the Rockler one that came with their teardrop router plate and it does well for operations like dados. This rig has nearly doubled in price and is no longer viable unless on a good sale IMHO.

I have the Qneida and it does just as well. I also have the Milwaukee since I have a bunch of Milwaukee routers. It does well for bits 1/2" and under or cuts were the bit is well extended; larger bits when doing shallow cuts don't allow enough airflow past the shroud and the collection fails rapidly. There is also the Bosch edge style with which I have no experience.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-03-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn. Although my immediate needs are collection above the bit, the Oneida provides cups for below bit collection as well. Think I'll go ahead and get it.

Sounds like I should go buy 5 or 6 more routers given yours and Ron's responses. I only have 3...
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Thanks Glenn. Although my immediate needs are collection above the bit, the Oneida provides cups for below bit collection as well. Think I'll go ahead and get it.

Sounds like I should go buy 5 or 6 more routers given yours and Ron's responses. I only have 3...

Once upon a time I was told that I would have more than one. I didn't believe it. My herd was partially the result of a few of those Amazon stupid-low price boo-boos that come along. Hard to pass up a 5616 combo kit for $103
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

just seem to multiply somehow
    original B&D router long gone, 3 Bosch laminate routers with 5 bases and a PC laminate router bought back in the 80's when doing a lot of laminate. Makita plunge router(big horse) bought in the late 1980's for mortises building a bunk bed, couple of Ryobi's (bought cheap) gave to a young guy starting up. Then started buying Porter Cables, 3-100's just because(old memories) don't use them, 4- 690s 2 for dovetails, one for edge timing/rabbets with Oneida dust collector, one for whatever also travels. One Ryobi trimmer that will go back out to another young guy who bought his first house last year an needs to start his tool collection as soon as I get around to teaching him how to use them. Have a Bosch and a J. C. Penny door hinge template kits. leigh dovetail jig, and too many bits but also never the right one at that time.
    don't care for routers, too noisy, too dirty, however work the best for me on certain jobs.
    Will buy a d handle PC 690 or two, if I find one in good shape for 100 or less
    tool buying sickness lives here
    good luck
    ron

Be aware that the diameter bit the Oneida can take is much larger than that of the Rockler versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Be aware that the diameter bit the Oneida can take is much larger than that of the Rockler versions.
    Thanks Dave. I had not considered that at all.
    Brian

Another completely different idea. Why not take a section of 2" hose pipe, cut it short enough to clear top of router, and cut bottom at a 45. Zip tie it to router body with opening of 45 facing bit. Connect using 2" hose, fed from overhead, instead of dragging it a round like a tail. You could make a custom base for router to help support the hose pipe. Just my take on your problem.