Thread: 3/4" versus 1-1/4" bore shaper cutters

3/4" versus 1-1/4" bore shaper cutters

Okay, I've done some research and found some discussions on this topic but most Q&A's are in regard to the use of 1-1/4" cutters on a 3/4" shaper spindle. In my case I have a 1" optional spindle.

I have recently acquired a rather decent amount of 1-1/4" cutters (mostly Freud) that appear to be in very good condition and I'm considering keeping some to fill out my collection. I have two questions/concerns with this decision.

1. My shaper has 3 interchangeable spindles (1/2", 3/4", and 1"). I've changed the spindles just to see how but have used the 3/4" the entire time I've owned it and all my existing cutters were 3/4". Will I regret having to change spindles if I decide to keep some 1-1/4" cutters as well as 3/4" cutters? I know I can always use a 3/4" to 1-1/4" bushing for the smaller cutters but I can see myself preferring the extra rigidity the 1" spindle would give me when spinning the larger cutters.

2. Is there a cut quality or cutter life gain by using larger diameter cutters? The new cutters all appear to be in just as good of condition as my 3/4" and there is a lot of overlap in profiles so my thought was if there is a quality or longevity reason I'd keep the 1-1/4" cutters and sell the 3/4". I was surprised the cutter diameter isn't that different between the Freud panel raisers but is on the cope & stick cutters.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this, especially from the guys doing this professionally that have a lot of hours on shapers.

For everyone's information my shaper is a Woodtek WK-3AL with a 4hp motor (originally 3hp) with a Steff power feeder.

This is a group picture of the cutters I got which isn't huge but it pretty much doubled my previous count. There are a few not in this picture.
    IMG_0318 (2).JPG

One positive of keeping the 1-1/4" is if I ever get a larger shaper I'll be happy I kept the larger cutters.

Thanks,
    Wes

Ive never run a 3/4" spindle, but im guessing you will be fine with the cutters you have. It looks like nothing exceeds 4" diameter and most are in the 3" range. Are they steel body or aluminum?

Personally, i wouldnt want to swap spindles that often. Its kind of a PITA on my Felder 700. Thats why its nice to standardize everything at 1.25"

The biggest cutter in the group is 5-1/2" if that makes a difference. The majority are 4-1/2" with the smallest being 3-1/2". Thanks for the feedback.

Swapping spindles is my biggest hang-up although I don't use the shaper all that often other than making doors and those cutters would all be 1-1/4" bore if I keep the door making ones.
    Last edited by Wes Billups; 10-14-2020 at 7:29 PM.

I've had to change spindles several times in one day. Think the important thing is to make sure you are doing it right. For
    liability reasons the Mfgs. are too stingy with proper info.
    Then you won't have a stuck spindle or a spindle "unwinding " while running. The 3 inch diameter cutters really need
    10,000 rpm. Especially the one that make joints such as lock-mitre, and cope and sticking .
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 10-14-2020 at 5:38 PM. Reason: more!

Does your shaper have multiple speeds? Adapters are cheap so I would get some for both the 3/4" and 1" shaft. I've never had a problem using 1 1/4" cutters on my 3/4" shaper but mine turns at a pretty low speed so the larger diameter works well with it's speed.

There will be an issue with the spindle bearings holding up long term if the spindle cartridge and bearings are small. Just because you have a 1'' spindle ,does not mean the machine is built to handle it with bigger cutters. A rough indication of the size of tooling the manufacturer designed the machine to handle can be determined by looking at the insert hole diameter in the table.

I would keep the 1.25” cutters for sure. The larger the spindle the smoother they run. You get less heat with larger cutters as well. You can always use bushings to run the larger cutters.

What I am curious about is how you retrofitted a 4hp motor onto that stock 3hp Woodtec shaper? Chances are that it will eventually need new spindle bearings as that machine was not designed to use that big of a motor but that is a relatively easy choir

Isn’t there a 1 -1/2” spindle available for that shaper ?

I know the Delta and Powermatic versions of this shaper had them available.