Thread: Gel Stain/Arm R Seal help needed

Gel Stain/Arm R Seal help needed

Hello Everybody

Hope you're staying safe and healthy.

I just made a small book case out of poplar that client wants stained dark to match other furniture in her office. Went with General Finish Ebony gel stain. First coat went on pretty easily. Might do a second coat, might not.

Searching online been getting all sorts of differing directions for wait time for second coat and then for top coat, which will be Arm R Seal.

Some people say wait over night for second coat, other say 72 hours. Same with the Arm R Seal. Some say wait even a week after final coat of gel stain before the top coat.

My past experience with Arm R Seal has been that it goes on super easy. I barely have to wait more than a few hours before its well dry enough for light sand and another coat. The gel stain has already dried for me to be completely tack-free. This is my first time using gel stain -- is there something I'm looking for to know when to apply top coat? Why can't I slap on the second coat or even the top coat when it's this dry -- which is so dry that when rubbing a shop towel on it, there is no residue coming off on the towel.

As a point of reference, my shop is in Los Angeles, where it's in the high 70's/low 80's temp, and humidity is in mid 30s.

Any and all insights greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You will NEVER go wrong with being conservative on cure times between "dissimilar" steps in a finishing process. Letting the binder in the gel stain cure well is important before top coating...at least overnight, but read the instructions on the container. For your top coats, follow the manufacturer's directions for multiple coat timing as your tempuratures are right in the sweet spot anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the speedy response Jim.