Thread: The Family

The Family

This is my first attempt at this sort of work. I hate to mention his name in the same sentence as my work and I hope it is not insulting to him but I hope you might see a little Gordon Pembrigde influence. The piece is about 9" tall and 7 in in dia made from local Birch. When I turned it I had not planned tho do the piercing and it is WAY too thick but I persevered and it turned out ok. I have had several people want to add it to their collections even before it was complete. It really gave my high speed air dental type tool a workout and the painting was a challenge. I have plans for more and with any luck each one will be better than the last!

IMG_2307.jpgIMG_2318.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Very nice Pete. I have a piece of cherry I plan on doing something similar, but will be a while due to surgery and a 5 lb. limit for a while. I was going to try a Kutzall bit instead of my dentist handpiece for this.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I really like that Peter. I'm still just a beginner, but maybe someday I'd like to give that a shot.......
    Tom

Nice piece. I'm sure the dust was flying from those power carving tools.

Hopefully you recover quickly and will show us the piece. It will be for sure a chore with a Kutzall . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .