Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Corian be cut with a hand plane?

If your heart is set on doing this by hand than I would think a scraping cut would work the best. I would make a something similar to a marking gauge and instead of a pin or knife wedge piece of scraper filed to the shape you want and go at it until you get to the desired depth. Garrett Hack has an article or video somewhere about scraping beads and I'm thinking that sort of jig would work better than using a plane.

Blog Entries
    If your heart is set on doing this by hand
    It may be the space to fit a router isn't as wide as the base of the router to fit. There may be a special slotting bit that could work with the router held horizontally.

The other problem with a router is mistakes happen in the blink of an eye. Hand tools make mistakes slow enough to catch before they are fatal.

This keeps me thinking about a side bead plane:

Side Bead.jpg

This is on an edge, would work under the edge of a counter. That would make a great drip edge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

How about grinding a groove with a Dremel tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    How about grinding a groove with a Dremel tool?
    With some sort of jig to hold the Dremel tool steady that might be the simplest. What little I've worked with Corian says a plane ain't gonna cut it. The recommendation to find a piece of scrap is a good one. You might find a kitchen fabricator that has sink cutouts they'd be willing to sell for not a lot of $.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 10-16-2020 at 8:37 AM.

Jim
    I think we're on the same page here. I'd be afraid to use a router and a dremel is still kinda scary. Also I would have to get one. I am thinking a short piece of band saw blade with the right combination of carbide teeth might make a good plane iron.

But I also like James' idea of just adding a rib on the bottom. I could test that with a wooden piece attached with hot melt.

Blog Entries
    But I also like James' idea of just adding a rib on the bottom. I could test that with a wooden piece attached with hot melt.
    That sounds like a plan.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    With some sort of jig to hold the Dremel tool steady that might be the simplest. What little I've worked with Corian says a plane ain't gonna cut it. The recommendation to find a piece of scrap is a good one. You might find a kitchen fabricator that has sink cutouts they'd be willing to sell for not a lot of $.

Stewmac, Lee Valley, and Luthier's Merchantile have a tool for that.
    Out of the three, I think the Lee Valley one is probably best.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=05J6507

FWIW, my recommendation is the DW611 plunge trim router, with the optional dust collector.
    I'm not a fan of Dewalt in general, but this one is pretty good.

Test on scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Stewmac, Lee Valley, and Luthier's Merchantile have a tool for that.
    Out of the three, I think the Lee Valley one is probably best.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=05J6507
    Also MicroFence but it's very expensive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.