Thread: some random questions

some random questions

1. Dutch tool chest dimensions? did you just use 1x12 do you with you went bigger?

2. Bench agent the wall How do you deal with bigger pieces? move the bench out or some other workaround?

3. Thinking about a Kenyon panel saw from Blackburn tool any one have one how do you like it? thinking 20 inch 11 ppi x-cut

4. Is there anyone that sells folded saw backs now?

Justin,

I cant answer 1 or 3, but as far as number 2 goes I made room to move my bench away from the wall and haven't looked back. Having full access to both sides and the ends is great. I had to change the layout of my shop, but i have no regrets. When my bench was against the wall, if i needed space I often worked on saw horses. Granted this is when i worked with power tools, but i always seemed to get by.

As far as folded back saws go, I have been researching back saws lately and bad axe tool works specifically says they fold their backs and explain why they do it. Other makers may do this as well, but i am not an expert on saws.

Hope this helps!

My last shop was too small to have the bench anywhere but against the wall. My new shop, I have about 3' on both sides of the bench. It's a huge advantage to be able to get to both sides IMO. With that said, saw benches are your friend.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Of course my answer is to build another bench so one is freestanding and the other is against the wall. Works much better than I would have thought .

Sorry, the devil made me do it.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post

2. Bench agent the wall How do you deal with bigger pieces? move the bench out or some other workaround?
    First bench was against the wall. That's why I will never have a bench against the wall again!

Although they are currently shut down by the pandemic, check TGIAG.COM for folded backs when things let up.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Although they are currently shut down by the pandemic, check TGIAG.COM for folded backs when things let up.
    they have been shut down for over a year. looks like the home page saying they are shut down is from 2/23/19.

My shop is small about 11x11 I just moved it to the wall and the space it opened up is nice. But I have a felling I will have to move the bench back out or at least get some rollers for it.

How big is your bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    How big is your bench?
    not that big 5 foot long 23 inch wide.
    I am working on cutting down any extra stuff in the room. Now I have my work bench, Bandsaw, lunch box planer (under bunch on rollers), lumber storage on one wall, shop vac with cyclone (I hate how much room that thing takes up), drill press, cabinet, tool chest on wheels, and random tools with no god home all around.

Plan is to build a cabinet of drawers, a dutch tool chest and Keep the current tool chest/ saw bench. Then only keep what fits in there. planer, bandsaw, drill press all on wheels
    Allso thinking about getting a wall mount dust collector instead of the shop vac. but not sure how that would work with the random orbit sander.

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    1. Dutch tool chest dimensions? did you just use 1x12 do you with you went bigger?
    I used 1x12 for the most part. I had to glue up the lid.
    Detailed here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t-III-Progress

I suppose in 11x11 that is a lot to work around

Florip Toolworks has folded brass backs listed on his site here: http://floriptoolworks.com/layout

I own one of his early half back crosscut saws and it is fantastic.

TonyC

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Corey View Post
    Florip Toolworks has folded brass backs listed on his site here: http://floriptoolworks.com/layout

I own one of his early half back crosscut saws and it is fantastic.

TonyC
    last I check with him he is to busy make his dovetail saws and is not selling just the folded back. I need a 14 or 16 inch.
    I have came very close to buying a saw from him.