Thread: How to remove this insulated sash?

How to remove this insulated sash?

Installed in 1998 according to the newspapers date that was so thoughtfully rolled up and used for insulation. Its an aluminum single hung and the fixed upper sash seal has failed. I want to remove it but don’t want to damage the rest of the window as it’s not a size commonly available. The two panels of glass are spaced with aluminum stock and the entire sash appears to be mounted in a vinyl or other type plastic U channel. On the interior side the U channel is glued or otherwise solidly stuck to surrounding aluminum. On the exterior the vinyl channel can be pulled away exposing the edge of the glass assembly. I’ve no idea if the glass assembly is somehow affixed to the inside edge of the U channel. As shown in the picture I can bend down the exterior side of the U channel exposing the edge of the glass. But pushing om the inside doesn’t result in any movement of the glass in the area held down. The black substance exposed behind the vinyl is between the glass and aluminum spacer. I’ve searched the web and watched dozens of videos on window repair but nothing covers this situation. If I knew the glass was not affixed to the channel on the inside I could just cut away the exterior lip of the channel to get the glass out. Anyone know the likelihood of that or have other advice on getting this out? Thanks21D754DD-950C-4C10-B00F-3498F9CCE084.jpgE5D407FF-BBBA-4044-8301-09B6B8324BDF.jpgFD763542-C1BD-4878-B62B-C4C2D225BF08.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 10-13-2020 at 8:41 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I can’t tell from the pics exactly what you have but normally you work from the inside. Peel and lift off the plastic strips to expose the glass module. Sometimes you have to break it to get it out. But first order a new one from https://www.onedayglass.com/order-online/
    The problem is that you must know the measurement of the gap inside the module and glass thickness. I just broke one layer on mine to get the numbers. I would guess 5/8 gap inside yours and don’t remember the typical thickness. I found that I could order modules and pay shipping and still be a lot cheaper than local.

Thanks for that link Bruce.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

The vendor that Bruce mentioned is exactly who I used for my recent renovation project and they did a great job for me, despite being on the opposite end of the country. That was for four very large fixed panels that I used to make new windows to replace 200 year old single-hungs and a panel in the faux door for light. Their attention to my dimensions was spot-on exact. So yea, while you are working out how to remove that panel, be sure you have a new one ready to go. There is a lead time for this kind of thing for both manufacture and shipping. The cost for the insulated panes to my specification was easily a quarter or less what buying a whole new custom replacement window that met my requirements, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...