Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prime Day - anything worthwhile?

Prime days were pretty underwhelming. We bought a few items, but strangely we found products that were better brands than on prime special, and better prices. We bought those instead. There were only 2 TVs on offer, and those got sucked up in seconds, and then the stuff like webcams were non-existent. We found something at Best Buy like others on the thread. We're festooned in monitors working at home, so no specials there were attractive. Monitor stands also seem to be made of unobtanium these days.

Prime Day? Whats that? Never had any use for duel monitors or web cams That battery charger someone mentioned for a 100 bucks I bought last year for $56 dollars. awesome device saved my butt a couple times.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

[Qhttps://www.stealthangelsurvival.com/products/sa-cpb400-portable-car-battery-jump-starter-12v-12-000mah-400a-and-usb-power-bank-w-led-flashlight?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Facebook&utm_ campaign=FB%20Dynamic%20Re-marketingUOTE=Jim Becker;3063048]This one is a good buy if you want/need a jump battery for in your vehicle:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/QUOTE]
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

well, I did actually order something on prime day. I decided I needed to replace my copy of The Blues Brothers.. so I looked .. reasonably cheap copy, 40% off as prime day deal and it seems I had a certificate for prime day items. So, I paid $0 for a 4k blu-ray that'll be here by lunch.

I wonder how much my prime day purchase cost Amazon?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    That battery charger someone mentioned for a 100 bucks I bought last year for $56 dollars. awesome device saved my butt a couple times.
    It was $69 yesterday, and even at that price it was a good score. There are much bigger ones, though, I wouldn’t rely on jumping a truck with it.

I’m also not sure about keeping it in the vehicle. Lithium ion batteries, burn like napalm.

I purchased a Klipsch RP-404CW center channel speaker, saved $200..........Rod.

Nice. I was looking in home theatre but noted that most of what was on sale was 2019 or 2018 models. Speaker probably wouldn't matter, but the TVs were outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I purchased a Klipsch RP-404CW center channel speaker, saved $200..........Rod.

I buy most everything refurbished or a couple years old, I don't need the latest and greatest
    Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    Nice. I was looking in home theatre but noted that most of what was on sale was 2019 or 2018 models. Speaker probably wouldn't matter, but the TVs were outdated.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

How do you define an outdated tv. Something that was offered initially for 10k can be 5k six months later. What does that mean. And when “similar” tech gets offered the next year at a chain store for $599, what are you getting.

I got an amazon smart plug for a whopping $0 if I asked Alexa nicely to place it in my shopping cart.

Yes it was 100% completely free and it was delivered 15 hours later.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Hi William, yes with speakers it won't matter, especially since the center channel speaker will be sitting between 2 1981 Klipsch Lascala's

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    I got an amazon smart plug for a whopping $0 if I asked Alexa nicely to place it in my shopping cart.

Yes it was 100% completely free and it was delivered 15 hours later.
    I missed that one...nice deal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For example - the 2018/2019 models have slower processors, fewer apps, outdated firmware that may or may not be updatable, older hdmi standards, non hdr, slower or noisier 4K upconversion, etc.. I tend to buy at the end of the cycle, when that price drop you mention usually happens but the deals I saw were 2018’s. We’re nearing the end of the 2020 product cycle, those should be coming down any time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    How do you define an outdated tv. Something that was offered initially for 10k can be 5k six months later. What does that mean. And when “similar” tech gets offered the next year at a chain store for $599, what are you getting.

For example - the 2018/2019 models have slower processors, fewer apps, outdated firmware that may or may not be updatable, older hdmi standards, non hdr, slower or noisier 4K upconversion, etc.. I tend to buy at the end of the cycle, when that price drop you mention usually happens but the deals I saw were 2018’s. We’re nearing the end of the 2020 product cycle, those should be coming down any time now.
    I prefer to buy after a unit has been out for a year or so. But if you buy top-end stuff, the specs are usually sufficiently high that you wouldn't notice. E.g. my Sony 940D is still as good as anything else I've seen in that category, four years later. It seems that video performance has plateaued (8k etc is just a fantasy.)