Thread: Installing bearings in motor housing

Installing bearings in motor housing

I’m replacing bearings in the motor of my Bridgewood 8” jointer. First time I’ve done something like this. Shaft bearings went on smoothly in a press with a light coating of oil on the shaft. The housing has grease which may be from the original bearings. After I clean that off, should I use grease, oil, or anything else before installing the new bearings? Should I press these on, or will they slide on with just a few hammer taps?

Thanks

Is the oil/grease just to facilitate installation of the bearing?

Stick the bearings in the freezer before installation and the slight shrinkage will be a tremendous help.

Freeze the shaft, heat the bearing in the oven at 300 for about 20 minutes.

Yes, to ease installing on the shaft. I also read about freezing shaft and heating bearing, but I didn’t need to add those steps. I’ll try freezing the entire shaft and bearings before installing the housings. Thanks

Matt, my post may have been confusing. I already pressed the bearings onto the shaft. Now I need to install them into the endcaps.

If they’re on the shaft, the end bells should just tap over the bearings. A few light taps should seat them, then the 4 long bolts will pull them all the way.

There are a few videos on YouTube referring to this sort of installation. Our own Steven Woodward has a thoughtful video on the topic.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....133&highlight=

I think you may have done them in the wrong order. The outer race is often a tighter fit then the inner bore. What holds the bearing in the case and what holds the shaft in the bearing? Any clips, pins etc or just friction. One end should be free to float lengthwise to allow for thermal expansion. I would assume not the output end. Any Bellville washers left over?
    Bil lD