Thread: Finishing Birch plywood, Dog House/Kennel & Bookshelves

Finishing Birch plywood, Dog House/Kennel & Bookshelves

I built an indoor dog/house kennel for my dog out of big box store Birch.

From what I’ve read online, it seems that I want to use an oil based primer and paint because it will paint better. Seems that when people have used Latex paint for bookshelves and such it becomes sticky. I will eventually make some bookshelves too, so this concerned me. I’m using this “dog house” as sort of a learning curve before I make my bookshelves, so I do want something durable for both. The dog house and bookshelves will get a lot of use.

When I stopped off at Sherwin-Williams the lady there said I was nuts for even considering oil based anything. The lady at Sherwin-Williams said to use a Latex based primer and Latex based paint. – Which is the advice I have read online is to NOT do that.

What I am after is a good solid, do not see the grain, durable finish/paint.

What I have learned so far, is that I might want to use a Shellac-Based primer, such as Zinsser BIN Primer, so I don’t raise the grain, then perhaps a Lacquer for a nice shiny durable finish.
    What would be good to use in the middle? I will eventually make some bookshelves that need to be durable because they’re going to get used, so I’m using this “dog house” as sort of a test to make sure I get this figured out right.

I do have a Graco Ultra Max Cordless Airless Handheld paint sprayer, which I have ran Latex through and had some good luck painting the ceilings in my basement with. If I could use Latex, that would be nice, since it is easier to clean it with Latex.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You do not need to use oil based paint to prevent "blocking". (the sticking of things to typical latex paint) You just need to use high quality 100% acrylic paint/enamel that's designed for the purpose. One example is Sherwin Williams ProClassic. Benjamin Moore Impervo Acrylic is another example. Waterborne primer is also fine and it's a good practice to use it before your top coats.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is there any particular primer that I should use? Would the Sherwin-Williams Premium Wall & Wood Primer work well?

When I painted the ceiling in my basement I used Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint with my Graco Ultra Max Cordless Airless Handheld paint sprayer. I'm really happy with how well that worked out. I'm wondering how the Sherwin Williams ProClassic would be running through that? I do a way better job spraying than I do rolling and my dog house would sure paint easier if I could spray it.

The SW primer is a good primer.

ProClassic and the SuperPaint are different products but you should be able to setup your gun to spray the ProClassic. I cannot tell you how to make adjustments, however, as I'm not familiar with that kind of spray system. If you determine that you need to hand-apply, the good news is that ProClassic lays down and levels nicely in my experience when applying it in my kitchen to refresh the lower cabinet finishes a few years ago. I brushed the cabinets/face frames in-situ and sprayed the doors and drawer fronts in the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...