Thread: Bowl turning off end of laguna 18-36

Bowl turning off end of laguna 18-36

Looking for comments—-does the swing away tail stock get in way—- what about lighting— ‘‘‘thanks,joe

Not really, but I have not had mine on for some time now. You may have an issue with the headstock locking arm, mine just clears it; I pull it backwards. The headstock locking lever/arm is probably the only thing that could make life interesting; I think.

That said, I have the 24-36, but all of the accessories, extension, tailstock riser, are identical between the two models.

Are you using the extension unit with the tailstock riser? Apart from the obvious size difference in what I can turn, both machines are identical, sort of. The diagonals on that rough blank are approximately 900mm, the lathe is at the limit.

Mick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats it--- the locking lever arm is the problem

Well with my headstock, I slide it to the end, then lift the lever and lock it. The lever sits above the bed, which enables me to then swing the swing away and fix it from moving. I then do the turning I require, almost always using the bed extension in the lower set of bolt holes.

I eventually stopped using the swing away as I found it quite easy to slide the tail stock onto the tail stock riser from the bed with the minimal gap there, then just slide the tail stock on the riser out of the way. I agree it is slightly fiddly, but I'm retired and have no time constraints. More so now, as at the moment we have been in isolation lockdown for the last 7+ months due to COVID 19.

Mick.