Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DW735 Shelix Head Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    What do you mean they don't stand behind their product? There is nothing wrong with it, except for that shallow taped hole, and it doesn't sound like you are experienced in machinery repair. I was just getting ready to ask how undersized the keyway was, because you often have to tap it in so it won't slide out of the slot when you slide on the gear. Something I learned very early repairing farm machinery.
    Your missing the point. Everyone isn't an expert. THEY know their product better than any layman ever could. Why would they #1 not mention it in their video and definitely in the phone conversation? I know keys can and should fit snuggly. If I were giving someone guidance over the phone I would mention this. They already messed up by poor quality control with the hole not tapped deep enough. Who's to say they didn't "fix" the problem and tell him it was his error. Not seeing the method used to cut the keyway it's possible that the finish pass wasn't made and it was undersized. This has to be a small key. Something in the 1/8" to 3/16" range. If it's cut with an end mill it wouldn't be cut in one pass. To much deflection. They've lost credibility here. They should do the right thing and ship it back. Other wise he should request a refund. Grizzly sells a replacement insert head so he has options.

This is a bit strange. Why didn't they suggest that you needed to tap the key in place when you talked to them.

This situation will make me think twice before buying one of their heads.

What do you mean they don't stand behind their product? There is nothing wrong with it, except for that shallow taped hole, and it doesn't sound like you are experienced in machinery repair. I was just getting ready to ask how undersized the keyway was, because you often have to tap it in so it won't slide out of the slot when you slide on the gear. Something I learned very early repairing farm machinery.
    Why should I have to repair a $400 dollar brand new head? My expectation is that is should be ready to go out of the box. Why should I have to re-tap the threads to screw in the gear? If I had to tap in the key to get it to fit why not mention that to me BEFORE I sent it in to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Did you pay with a credit card? If so dispute payment. I usually take time before writing an email when mad. But never the less a good company will accept when customers are mad and overlook things like this. As for directions, if they don't say that you may need to use a hammer to install the key then that's on them. Sounds like they are trying to be deceitful. If they don't say it could be needed and a customer just assumes it's ok and damages it would they say "We never said to use a hammer to install it"? After all this is something machined to very tight tolerances. I would expect that Byrd would understand that not all of their customers are not machinists who would know the difference between too small and press fit.
    I bought it through MYwoodcutter.com. They directed me to Byrd for all issues.

I am a bit surprised they would fight you over shipping. That would cost them like $10. Especially considering they messed up the threads originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    I am a bit surprised they would fight you over shipping. That would cost them like $10. Especially considering they messed up the threads originally.
    Here's the kicker. I called them yesterday morning and gave them my credit card to ship to me. I just called them and she said they haven't gotten around to send it back to me yet. She said maybe they can today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Your missing the point. Everyone isn't an expert. THEY know their product better than any layman ever could. Why would they #1 not mention it in their video and definitely in the phone conversation? I know keys can and should fit snuggly. If I were giving someone guidance over the phone I would mention this. They already messed up by poor quality control with the hole not tapped deep enough. Who's to say they didn't "fix" the problem and tell him it was his error. Not seeing the method used to cut the keyway it's possible that the finish pass wasn't made and it was undersized. This has to be a small key. Something in the 1/8" to 3/16" range. If it's cut with an end mill it wouldn't be cut in one pass. To much deflection. They've lost credibility here. They should do the right thing and ship it back. Other wise he should request a refund. Grizzly sells a replacement insert head so he has options.
    You missed my point. Not everyone should attempt machine repair or expect to be lead by the hand for every single minute detail. The OP was in over his head, and instead of asking about it on here he sends it back and now blames the manufacturer for poor service because of his lack of experience. You don't have to tell me to tap in the key, and I can't be the only person in America that knows that. What's wrong with spending $25 in shipping to learn a lesson? With no experience do you attempt to replace a timing belt on your car? When you buy the belt does the auto parts store tell you every single detail on how to replace it?
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-21-2020 at 2:35 PM.

You missed my point. Not everyone should attempt machine repair or expect to be lead by the hand for every single minute detail. You don't have to tell me to tap in the key, and I can't be the only person in America that knows that. What's wrong with spending $25 in shipping to learn a lesson? Does the OP attempt to replace a timing belt on his car? When he buys the belt does the auto parts store tell him every single detail on how to replace it?
    What lesson? If I didn't know how to do something I read the INSTRUCTIONS. The instruction said to watch the video. The video did not say " Your brand new $400 cutter head may not be machined correctly and you will have to fix it". There are instructions in a manual for the car that show how to change a timing belt. Why are you such an apologist for poor workmanship?
    Last edited by Ken Howell; 10-21-2020 at 2:35 PM.

You missed my point. Not everyone should attempt machine repair or expect to be lead by the hand for every single minute detail. The OP was in over his head, and instead of asking about it on here he sends it back and now blames the manufacturer for poor service because of his lack of experience. You don't have to tell me to tap in the key, and I can't be the only person in America that knows that. What's wrong with spending $25 in shipping to learn a lesson? With no experience do you attempt to replace a timing belt on your car? When you buy the belt does the auto parts store tell you every single detail on how to replace it?
    Again you're missing the point. They are selling this as an upgrade the end user can do. They shouldn't market as such if they aren't willing to offer technical assistance. If they didn't tap the hole who's to say they machined the keyway to finish size. I watched their tutorial video. They insert the key with their fingers. Kind of gives weight to the OP's complaint. The tech says keep the shaft turned up so it won't fall out. So this must be the 1 in 1000 that the key fit tight on. Or maybe it was an undersized keyway. It's definitely machined with an end mill. I didn't see it before he returned it obviously but it definitely didn't fit as they represented it in their instructional video. To me the lesson here is to be wary of doing business with them going forward if this is how they choose to do business. I think the OP has learned that unfortunately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I watched their tutorial video. They insert the key with their fingers. Kind of gives weight to the OP's complaint. The tech says keep the shaft turned up so it won't fall out.
    Well, here's the definitive answer. OP should relay this to them. They really have no defense at all in this case. As a matter of principle, I'd dig my heels in on this one. They clearly are in the wrong.

Personally, I think there is a personality clash going on here, with the OP sending a snot-o-gram rather than more gentle communications. It sound like the customer service rep has their back up now.

Why did the OP agree to tap the hole that was wrong? Should've sent it back instead and avoided this whole thread.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Why did the OP agree to tap the hole that was wrong? Should've sent it back instead and avoided this whole thread.
    Probably because he waited 3 months for this one. If an exchange were possible I'm sure he would have done that.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 10-21-2020 at 11:40 PM.

I have always believed that great customer service is great advertising and vice versa. If they had just replaced it and paid the shipping nearly 1000 woodworkers would be reading a thread about how it is a great company that stands behind their product.

My guess is that Byrd is swamped due to the virus filling orders like every other company. It sounds like the quality is dropping a bit as they try to get caught up. It could be an increased demand from people who are spending more time at home and/ or a reduced staff making them. Then they have to deal with customers who got a defective product and are mad.

But they have nobody to blame but themselves. Asking a machinist to finish tapping threads in a hole is no big deal. As someone who has tapped a lot of holes I know how easy it is for someone with not a lot of experience to break a tap off. But that's just the beginning. To demand that the customer return the tap, a tool that couldn't cost more than $20 (most likely half that), is a pure stupidity. Nothing like saying "We are so cheap that we can't afford to give a customer a used tap". Hopefully they at least included a prepaid envelope for the tap (which would of cost close to the price of the tap).

I find that most woodworkers aren't people who work with metal. There's some crossover but most don't own things like welders or mills. Imagine if you sent a customer who doesn't work with wood something made out of wood only to get a call from that customer saying that the finish was rough. Would you tell the customer that you would send them a sheet of sandpaper and a rubber block (that you wanted returned) to finish sanding it? If the customer called back and said I've followed your video and I can't get the tenon to fit into the mortise the way you describe in your video. Your credibility is already shot with this customer for making them finish the work you should have done. Would you tell the customer that they just didn't use enough force and that the customer needed to pay? There's a reason why most things that need to get assembled come with large very clear directions on how to assemble them. They also come with bold print saying not to return it, instead call this number if you have problems. What seams very clear to one person may not to another.

Hi Alex,

No they didn't include a prepaid envelope. I asked how was I supposed to return it to them and they said just drop it in mail.

And they still haven't shipped my cutter head back to me! They received my head last Friday, decided they weren't going to do anything, told me I had to pay to get it back, I gave them my credit card number Tuesday morning and here it is Thursday and they still haven't shipped it.

Does anyone want to defend this company?