Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DW735 Shelix Head Issues

Blog Entries
    I was gobsmacked when I read that they wanted you to send the tap back, but to expect you to pay the return shipping is just goofy. My opinion of this company has really tanked.

Maybe they're holding your head until the get their tap back

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I was gobsmacked when I read that they wanted you to send the tap back, but to expect you to pay the return shipping is just goofy. My opinion of this company has really tanked.

Maybe they're holding your head until the get their tap back
    I just got an email from them that they're finally shipping me back the cutterhead. They're charging me for shipping it back but also charged me for shipping it to them.

Never ever will I buy anything from them again.

Glad I saw this thread. I was just about to order a cutter head. Now no way. Plan B.... I'll stick with the OEM setup and be happy.
    Dick Mahany.

I wish I could hear the Byrd side of this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I posted their email to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I do too. Things look pretty cut & dried from the OP's point of view. Does anyone know a contact at Byrd who could come on here to offer their defense in this case. They are not looking very good based on the info presented. I too have been considering a Byrd head, but as it stands now, I don't think I'd consider buying from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I do too. Things look pretty cut & dried from the OP's point of view. Does anyone know a contact at Byrd who could come on here to offer their defense in this case. They are not looking very good based on the info presented. I too have been considering a Byrd head, but as it stands now, I don't think I'd consider buying from them.
    I posted the email about the key in that they said it needed to be tapped in. They didn't mention that in my contact with them nor did it say anything about that in the video they say to watch about installation. Here is first email from them about the gear not threading through:

"The mywood guys forwarded me your email, and I see that you've got an issue with the helical gear not threading all the way properly. First thing that I suggest is removing the gear and making sure no debri is lodged within the threads in the hole. (I use wd-40 or some other liquid lubricant to thoroughly flush the hole out) also check to make sure that the helical gear threads aren't damaged or dirty. If you are still having troubles after trying those things the threads in the hole may need to be re-traced with a tap M8x1.25 RH (If you do not have one we can provide one to use and then simply return afterwards) Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Hmm. Maybe I am in the wrong.

Blog Entries
    Their handling of the tapped holes was fine, apart from expecting you to pay shipping for the tap (not fine at all, a boneheaded move). Where you really have a case is with the key that their own video shows and tells is a loose fit.

I agree and really I would have been fine about the key if they had said before I shipped them the cutter head that I needed to tap the key into the hole. The videos did show it should be loose. What got me is they assumed I should know and wanted me to pay for the shipping to them and back to me. That's where they lost me.

I deal with high end tools for construction all the time and it is not infrequent for me to drive an hour to fix something that the customer should have been able to figure out. I NEVER charge them for this. Its just a plan of mine to ensure that I have their business for life. Whether or not he should have known to tap the key in is irrelevant. Byrd should have just paid the dang $10 shipping with a kind note about it.

Now it looks like you will have to worry about the thermal breaker on your 735 after you get the head finally installed, based on the other post running right now. That sure would be disappointing!