Thread: Are these powder post beetle holes?

Are these powder post beetle holes?

This is freshly milled cherry that has been air drying for many months. Are these powder post beetle holes?
    At 3 1/2", 6 1/4" and 10" marks.

IMG_20201012_133811298.jpg
    IMG_20201012_133904200.jpg
    Last edited by Matthew Curtis; 10-12-2020 at 2:19 PM.

This lumber was air dried outside for about 18 months and was then brought into my shop where it has been stickers and stacked for about a year now. I see no evidence of an infestation anywhere on the sticker lumber. No tiny piles of sawdust anywhere.

This is the same pice as pictured above, just planned down more. Is this just the gum pockets? Do gum pockets get holes?

IMG_20201012_145606822.jpg
    IMG_20201012_145618407.jpg
    Last edited by Matthew Curtis; 10-12-2020 at 3:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Powder post beetle holes are almost exactly 1/8" in diameter.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Powder post beetle holes are almost exactly 1/8" in diameter.
    My holes are smaller than that. Any idea what they are from?

What we refer to as powder post beetles leave a 1/16" hole
    And a lot of fine sawdust

I’m not an expert, but I think the powdered sawdust is the main giveaway for PPB. those holes look similar to the holes I see in ambrosia or wormy maple.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I’m not an expert, but I think the powdered sawdust is the main giveaway for PPB. those holes look similar to the holes I see in ambrosia or wormy maple.
    No expert here either, but I did recently see something similar in a cherry board. Did a little googling and found that ambrosia beetles can attack trees other than maple.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Occasional holes like that can be common in cherry in my experience, especially with "character" boards like what is posted. If there's no fras evidence (dust, etc) I doubt that powder post is involved. But it's very good that you're keeping that in mind.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone. Just my paranoia setting in. I must say I like the character that I am finding in some of my cherry. It keeps things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Thanks everyone. Just my paranoia setting in. I must say I like the character that I am finding in some of my cherry. It keeps things interesting.
    There is much info about PPBs on the internet if you want to read up. Here is one: https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef616
    There are several types of power post beetles. The size of the holes can be different for different types of PPBs. It's useful to know what an active infestation looks like for boards left in one position for long periods - it is typical to see piles of frass below the holes. Live PPBs can be in the wood for many months or years before emerging. I put some turning blanks with suspected infestation in a closed tub and some months later found beetles in the bottom of the tub.

That Cherry in your photo is from a tree that was in the initial stages of decay. Likely not PP bettles and were in the tree when it was sawn. Ive cut a lot of down/standing dead/dying Cherry that looks identical to that (and a lot far worse).

Once you start working the board if it's PPB you'll see troughs (long oval shapes). The beetles don't bore in straight holes. Most likely they will be filled with powder. If you would like I can take a picture and post it.

As John wrote, there are several different types of powder post beetles. The one that is the most concerning for woodworkers is the lyctid powder post beetle, because it will stay active in dry lumber (and can stay inside the lumber for up to 7 years before boring out to lay eggs).

The other common PPB will leave the wood as it dries out.

Wormy maple, also referred to as ambrosia maple, is caused by the ambrosia powder post beetle. This can be easily identified by not only the stain, but the fact that the bore holes are stained black inside.

The only method that the USDA FPL recommends for extermination is heat sterilization.

Does anyone think I have an issue based on my pics above?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Does anyone think I have an issue based on my pics above?
    I wouldnt be concerned.