Thread: Wooden kayak design books

Wooden kayak design books

Iíve developed a curiosity into wooden kayaks and would like to find a book to goes through design considerations and construction techniques. Iíve enjoyed watching a bunch of YouTube videos on the subject and can probably spot a good design vs a bad one, but the engineer in me really wants to know why and how to do this from scratch.

Does anybody have a good book they can recommend on designing and building wooden kayaks?

Thanks,
    Ben

Are you leaning towards strip built or stitch and glue?

For strip built I find the Bear Mountain canoe book to be most accessible to someone who has never built a boat before.

For stitch and glue I lean towards Dynamite Payson, but there are a host of folks in close second place, Chesapeake Light Craft for instance. If your fillets and plywood are good it won't really matter.

You want a fillet ball or balls either way, I store mine in a mason jar of acetone. Just various metal balls of various radii tapped for a threaded bolt or rod.

Scott, thanks for the advice - I will look into them.

If I had to pick, Iím more interested in strip built or skin on frame, but really Iím curious about the design principles behind a kayak. Aka, calculating drag, design features (where to put hip supports, calculate speed potential, etc). Iím an engineer by trade, so understanding some of the theoretical aspects always interests me.