Thread: New to Fiber Lasers

New to Fiber Lasers

The aerospace machine shop I work for just recently bought a fiber laser (Triumph 30W Desktop Fiber Laser) from eBay and I wanted to see if any of you had experience with this certain company or laser. We are currently still waiting on the laser to be delivered but I'm trying to be prepared for when it gets here.
    General questions for those of you that have purchased a Chinese laser:
    What was the set-up like straight out of the box? I've seen people talking about adjusting mirrors, etc., just trying to get a feel for what I'm up against.

What kind of safety precautions are you taking? Obviously laser glasses are a no-brainer, but are you using laser screens or other enclosures?

Is anyone using their laser in a business setting? I'm seeing a lot of personal use (just trying to get an idea of any extra rules or OSHA things you've come up against)

I'm looking at buying a small laser enclosure from the same company that produced the laser and all of the signage, any other recommendations or tips?

There are no mirrors to contend with in a fiber laser system. Safety glasses rated for 1064nm +6 or better, if it’s class IV open frame then you need a booth or some manner of protection, treat it like a welder but with invisible IR light. Your biggest and most frustrating issue will be software & settings. Chinglish documents won’t help matters. Each system is different based on laser power & lens so unless someone has an identical configuration, their settings won’t apply to your machine. Expect a somewhat steep learning curve. CO2 lasers are far simpler in comparison.
    IPG YLP 50W Class IV Fiber
    -Scan Lab ScanCube 10 Galvo
    -ScanLab RTC4
    -Linos 160mm
    -Sherline Rotary Axis
    -ProLase10 Software w/Motion

MiniTech II CNC
    -NSK Astro e400 40k RPM Spinde
    -Sherline Rotary Axis
    -OneCNC XR6 Software

Hurco VM1 VMC
    -WinMax
    -OneCNC XR6 Software

There are 100's of posts on here about fiber lasers, you will need to use the Search function and do some reading and research. The best suggestion I can make besides that one, is start a log book, experiment and record. You will find it challenging but not impossible to learn.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I have two Triumph machines, a big 80w C02 and my first of three fibers is a Triumph. Good company to work with...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I have two Triumph machines, a big 80w C02 and my first of three fibers is a Triumph. Good company to work with...
    I'm very glad to hear this! I've been talking to Selina from the company and she has been very helpful with me so far. Are you using a water chiller with your Triumph fiber? I saw in the brochure that it was air-cooled but I see several threads on here talking about water chillers. I may be misled here so I'm just trying to get everything straight!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    This is what I said above.... There are 100's of posts on here about fiber lasers, you will need to use the Search function and do some reading and research.

Bill, thanks for the response. You seem to be under the impression I have not already done that. I have been doing exactly that for multiple hours a day over the past few weeks. I don't see a problem with asking a single person about their experience - especially since we're running the same brand of laser. If you do not feel so inclined as to respond in a helpful manner, please by all means do not engage. Cheers.

I just bought a 50W TR-F20M machine from Triumph via. Selina and it all went very well. The Chinees Golden Week holiday slowed shipping down a bit, but it's now here and all set up. It only took a couple hours to do.

The machine was crated in a plywood box and was screwed to the bottom panel. You'll have to pry the crate open to get to the screws.

Everything was clearly marked for connecting cables and it came with several videos for setup and getting started. I purchased the machine without the laptop so I had to set EZCAD up on my own machine. If you need to do that as well it is in a zip file called Software-6789142290-110mm.rar, assuming you are getting a 110mm lens with it. I needed to download WinZip in order to unzip that file. You'll need to make sure you install the driver for the control card as well if you are setting up your own PC. That driver is also on the USB stick and is installed through the Window's device manager.

I'm using my machine at home so for now I am using the goggles which they included in my purchase. I did consider the enclosure they offer and would be interested to hear what your thoughts are about it if you do end up purchasing it. I looked at buying some materials for building one, but all the laser blocking polycarbonate sheets I saw were very expensive. The enclosure seemed like a good deal if it allows easy access to the machine.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bills View Post
    I just bought a 50W TR-F20M machine from Triumph via. Selina and it all went very well. The Chinees Golden Week holiday slowed shipping down a bit, but it's now here and all set up. It only took a couple hours to do.

The machine was crated in a plywood box and was screwed to the bottom panel. You'll have to pry the crate open to get to the screws.

Everything was clearly marked for connecting cables and it came with several videos for setup and getting started. I purchased the machine without the laptop so I had to set EZCAD up on my own machine. If you need to do that as well it is in a zip file called Software-6789142290-110mm.rar, assuming you are getting a 110mm lens with it. I needed to download WinZip in order to unzip that file. You'll need to make sure you install the driver for the control card as well if you are setting up your own PC. That driver is also on the USB stick and is installed through the Window's device manager.

I'm using my machine at home so for now I am using the goggles which they included in my purchase. I did consider the enclosure they offer and would be interested to hear what your thoughts are about it if you do end up purchasing it. I looked at buying some materials for building one, but all the laser blocking polycarbonate sheets I saw were very expensive. The enclosure seemed like a good deal if it allows easy access to the machine.

Hope it all goes well for you.
    I think the enclosure they offer is well worth the price! We've decided not to go that route just because of the overall size of some of the parts we're going to be marking- a larger enclosure is going to be necessary. It looks like we will be building a room specifically for the laser, which came in last week. I've got everything set up and running now, just testing out my settings and all that on some test pieces.

One note: when we got the laser, the set-up went very smoothly. Even with minimal instruction, it was very easy to figure out how everything went together. The one hiccup we ran into was that once we got everything together and tried to turn on the included computer, we would get a start-up screen and then it would all go black. Tried a new monitor from one of our computers, all kinds of different things. Turns out that the RAM card in the tower had come loose during shipping and just had to be pushed back in! I haven't seen anyone else mention that on here and thought it might be worth it to save someone a headache (or small panic attack) upon first receiving their machine!

for what it's worth, just worry about your eyes, the rest of your self doesn't really need protecting. Lately I've been engraving my arm or fingers a couple of times a week with my new 420 lens

I could never use an enclosure. I've engraved hundreds of 14" x 18" x 6" aluminum boxes on all 6 sides, 30" tall aluminum boxes, and lately with the above 420 lens I've been engraving 22" x 32" aluminum operator panels with my cabinet model. Any enclosure would have to be refrigerator-sized
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle