Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carcass saw

As someone who has wayyy less expierience than probably everyone, I can't make any recommendations on bad ax vs veritas or whatever. I have a veritas carcass and it is a smooth cutting saw. I also have old disstons I've sharpened, which cut more aggressively. The thing I really want to ask and think about, is all these handsaws are really old technology, has there really been any mass improvements of any of them? I would highly doubt it, they are pretty simple tools. I feel like in most hobbies there are the value lines and the high end stuff. Most likely your paying 80% more for a 2% difference in actual performance. Like others stated with the "boutique" tools your likely paying for the name,cool woods, brass handles fit and finish. Some probably file more or less aggressively, make them weigh more, etc. But in terms of actual cutting performance they are really probably the same. I am not trying to take anything away from the makers, they make beautiful saws and yes I would like to have one, for aesthetic reasons, but I truly don't believe that they would offer a massive performance improvement over a veritas or a well sharpened disstons. Hopefully someone doesn't come along and tell me I'm a idiot. It just all seems like really old and simple technology. Buy what makes you happy.

Keep an eye on (shudder) Ebay: at the time of this posting, there were two listed, a 12" saw and a 16" saw. I think the 16 is still up. They were offered for significantly less than new.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    As someone who has wayyy less expierience than probably everyone, I can't make any recommendations on bad ax vs veritas or whatever. I have a veritas carcass and it is a smooth cutting saw. I also have old disstons I've sharpened, which cut more aggressively. The thing I really want to ask and think about, is all these handsaws are really old technology, has there really been any mass improvements of any of them? I would highly doubt it, they are pretty simple tools. I feel like in most hobbies there are the value lines and the high end stuff. Most likely your paying 80% more for a 2% difference in actual performance. Like others stated with the "boutique" tools your likely paying for the name,cool woods, brass handles fit and finish. Some probably file more or less aggressively, make them weigh more, etc. But in terms of actual cutting performance they are really probably the same. I am not trying to take anything away from the makers, they make beautiful saws and yes I would like to have one, for aesthetic reasons, but I truly don't believe that they would offer a massive performance improvement over a veritas or a well sharpened disstons. Hopefully someone doesn't come along and tell me I'm a idiot. It just all seems like really old and simple technology. Buy what makes you happy.
    Michael, this is an astute observation. It was proven to me by a visit to a Lie-Nielsen Tool Event in Seattle, WA. One of the 'boutique' saw makers let me make some cuts with their saw. There was no discernible difference in the cut or the feedback than from one of my own rehabilitated saws.

The appearance was the main difference. My old saw was a bit beat up and had pits on the blade. The blade was also very brittle from age. Eventually the plate was changed out for a new one it is still a fine saw.

Another difference is with my old saws the totes are mostly mass produced by routers and other machines. To some extent my guess is the modern boutique makers also use some machines to lower the cost of time spent producing a saw. One of my dovetail saws has a handle made in my shop to fit my hand from wood of my choice.

For a modern saw the Veritas saws offer a quality saw at an affordable price point. They are not as bling oriented as many of the other saws offered at higher prices.

For many it is like the pride of owning a classic automobile. It is a joy simply being able to use it as opposed to just getting the job done.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I saw a very recent review where they had a couple of Lie Nielsen saws and a couple of veritas saws. I noted that the saw plate was thinner on the Lie Nielsen and they thought it had a better sharpening so it cut better. I never purposely compared the two, but I had no problems with either.

I ordered the Veritas Carcass this week and got it today. The handle feels great and it cuts straight, fast, and clean. The only saw I need to finish filling my chest is a tenon saw. I'm probably going to order theirs when I'm ready.

The only unfortunate thing about the veritas saw I have is it spoiled me. What I mean by that is the veritas saw was the first "new" hand tool I had bought (besides some chisels) and it didn't need any fettling to work. It was really nice not to have to joint, sharpen, re joint because I messed up and re sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

For many it is like the pride of owning a classic automobile. It is a joy simply being able to use it as opposed to just getting the job done.

jtk
    I agree. For me it is more about the journey / process. When I hunted it was first with a compound bow, then I moved to longbow. First fishing, now fly fishing.