Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expert advice needed- tap and die for router issue

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It can happen when changing back and forth between collet sizes.

I'm really, really careful about this with the spindle on my CNC machine because buggering the threads could me thousands of dollars to replace things since it would not be DIY...

Jim.. if you cross thread the coarse thread spindle in your router.. you deserve to be relegated to a walker, straw, rubber spoon, and potty chair.... come on man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Jim.. if you cross thread the coarse thread spindle in your router.. you deserve to be relegated to a walker, straw, rubber spoon, and potty chair.... come on man.
    Mark, it can happen and I've seen at least one online post where it did for some unfortunate soul. Remember, I don't have an ATC, so I'm changing tooling manually during a file run, albeit with automatic measuring. Some of my stuff uses three different sized collets, so I just try to take care for obvious reasons. It only takes one moment of stupidity and none of us are immune from those moments...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wanted to provide some closure on this:

1" die at 20 tpi is what worked for me. It cleaned up the small amount that I damaged. Collet is back to where it started.

Nothing twenty bucks on eBay could not take care of!

So glad it worked, I may have way too many routers but could not bear to see one go out like that!

Chris

Good deal, always feels good to fix vs replace.
    Did you get a whole Die set or Die and taps?