Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

11 Oct 2020

Greetings,
    No shop time this week either. The day job work is easing up a bit and this week I put in just under 100 hours. Good thing that the company has me on salary.
    My hope is to get back in the shop this week and get somethings in the works that I need to get done. My control panel on my electric smoker ceased to work and I've only used it like 8 times in the last 2 years. No warranty, so I'm looking for options to get around the problem. One day, I hope to move up to a pellet smoker/grill and get away from the electronically controlled electric smoke issues.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm a newbie really. I picked up a free Radial arm saw......

My first real workbench (no more folding tables!) is almost ready to go!

20201011_175807.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got to work on my 5 dollar garage sale find a little more. Found the no4 earlier this summer but the other 2 just Fri. 20201010_124417.jpg

Dennis. 100 hours. You're a better person than me, for sure, for putting up with that, but then again, I do understand the situation, too. Sheesh...that bites.

Shop was "busy" completing a CNC carving job for a client as well as finishing up a commissioned equestrian tack trunk. A bunch of landscaping work also ensued...today's rain is going to be very good for all the grass seed in an area that I "remodeled" from a rocky weed patch to a continuation of the lawn contour. More of that this week and maybe some start to a personal project or two in the shop.

Oh, I stopped at the Willard Brother's sale on Friday after dropping off the aforementioned CNC work and ogled all the beautiful slabs. I don't have any appropriate projects for that, but did pick up some nice, clear 8/4 basswood for guitar bodies...$3.38 a board foot instead of five bucks normal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finished up installing the custom air return grate and the baseboard and shoe, filled the nail holes and touched up the paint. Moved my "stuff" back into the office; Mary doesn't want to move her stuff back in without sorting/organizing it. Good idea, but with her busy schedule that may be a while. Now working on the two "countertops" for the base cabinets. Decided just to go with HPL with solid cherry edging as it is an office and they will see fairly heavy use. Picked out a shade of grey for the HPL that will go with the flooring and ordered it. It already came so full speed ahead. I've settled most of the design decisions for the desks and am starting on the plans in Sketchup.

In the shop I've been puttering on a couple of table saw sleds to replace/improve some old ones.

The weather here has been glorious and I got a fair start on clearing the downed and dead trees in our woods. I've just done one small area but have already amassed a good stack of firewood. I don't have a wood burner, but in this area it's no problem getting rid of excess firewood. I have a buddy who heats with wood so he will take a lot of it; the rest will go quickly if I put up a free firewood sign. Plan to keep working half days outside and half inside as long as the decent weather holds.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Painted windows and trim in dining room. It was stained before, so that meant extra prep to break gloss of varnish. Repaired defective head lamp assembly on wife's 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitria. To get to head lamp assemble, you have to remove complete front end parts.Put new tires on wife's car, and changed the oil. Fixed a couple of dumpster rescue lawn mowers. One for myself, and one for an 84 year old friend. Repaired (temp. repair) broken pipe on water heater for friend who will be 103 in January. Have to go back, and replace complete pipe (Qwest.) Also replaced leaking cart. in bath faucet for her. LOML and I took a day trip to the mountains to see leaves, before rains washed them away. Stopped at Aldi's in Winston Salem, and found 73/27 ground beef for a buck a pound. Sell by date was today, so it was good to go. Made a big pot of spaghetti sauce, which I now have to freeze in portions for future use. Cooked a "Boston butt" in crock pot, which actually turned out to be a picnic instead. Mislabeled at grocery store. Burnt another pile of debris between rain showers Saturday. Not much wood working this week.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 10-12-2020 at 9:03 PM.

Just finished up a 2 week 'fun' project. Due to moisture issues from the HVAC trunk line, had to tear out and replace the floor in our master bedroom. Tearing out rotted plywood subfloor and particleboard underlayment is not very high on my fun-to-do list, but finding someone to do restoration work is difficult in these virus-challenged times. My back and knees are very angry with me.
    I'm more than ready for some shop time.