Thread: cedar paneling or veneer?

cedar paneling or veneer?

Hello,
    I have a cedar chest that I need to refinish. The catch is some moisture/mold got onto the surface and when I looked at it, it appeared to be a 1/16" or so veneer that is buckling due to the moisture. Not exactly the thinnest stuff I've seen. Almost seems like a paneling more than a veneer.
    When I search for cedar veneer I get results for what looks like paper thin veneer, nothing close to the thickness I'm seeing on the chest currently. From what I can estimate, this chest was made in the 50's or so, if that helps anyone for a frame of reference on supplies. Has the concept of veneer changed from the 50's of a thicker material than what is made currently?
    I will get pics tomorrow but wanted to start the thread to see what peoples' comments may be.

Thanks

Jeremy , all I can say without a pic is that all of the cedar chests I've seen were NOT cedar on the outside. I really don't
    remember what the outside veneer ,or veneers were.

Understood. I’ll try and get a pic as soon as I can.

Check cedar liner for closets. Lowe,s, Home Depot, Menards, etc Might be what you're looking for.
    Good luck
    Ron

Certainly Wood offers 1/16" cedar veneer. https://www.certainlywood.com/images...0CEDAR%2020229

Here are the pictures. I was thinking it was a bit thicker than it actually was. maybe when it got damp then dried it became far more rigid than some of the stuff I saw in my search.IMG_1994.jpgIMG_1995.jpgIMG_1996.jpgIMG_1997.jpg

You'd have to go way past 1950 for production veneer that was 1/16" thick. Maybe 1/32" in the 50s compared to 1/64" or less today.

Am I not seeing MAHOGANY veneer?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Am I not seeing MAHOGANY veneer?

Erik
    I believe that is what I am seeing also.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You'd have to go way past 1950 for production veneer that was 1/16" thick. Maybe 1/32" in the 50s compared to 1/64" or less today.
    Some was 1/28 th. As a kid I always wondered "who thought of that?"

I don't see any mention of whether this project is a piece you are trying to use and keep in the family, or a fix for a client.
    If the latter I would advise " buying another one". Even the ones in perfect condition don't bring much money.
    The old ads for those are interesting . Some show a lady kneeling ,head bowed, tenderly caressing winter blankets ,
    underwear , and "woolens"....being tuckedaway for their long winter nap. The cedar chest playing the role of the Ark of the Covenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Some was 1/28 th. As a kid I always wondered "who thought of that?"
    Certainly Wood claims 1/28th was a European standard, 0.9mm thick. They also sell some 1/24" veneer which was 1mm.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-12-2020 at 9:40 PM.

Good catch on the type of wood. I thought it looked a little interesting but hadn’t really given much thought to it since the interior of the chest is definitely cedar.
    We did buy this ourselves to be used in the house, so nothing I am trying to redo for selling.

Moving forward though what would your thoughts be on the best method for repairing this? I am guessing that if some of this veneer has chipped off then the majority of that entire front face is going to have to be steamed or whatever method is most appropriate to remove it so another layer can be laid down.
    Last edited by Jeremy Patrick; 10-13-2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Typo