Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on how to repair sheared cabinet hinge screw

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford Imhoff View Post
    The best tool I've found for removing small broken screws is the UNSCREW-UMS.

https://tltools.com/
    Thanks for the link; that's going on my Christmas list!

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Blog Entries
    Andy I agree but I think I'll beat Santa Claus to it and place an order. Thanks Sanford!

Blog Entries
    Eric, a good way to avoid shearing screws of any size is to (1) drill pilot holes and (2) lubricate the threads by dragging them across a lump of bees wax. I don't recommend soap because they can contain oils which will stain your wood and paraffin doesn't stick to the threads very well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    After I lost the store bought version made from a spring pin (referred to as "roll" pin here), I started making my own, only take a few minutes with a triangle file to file the teeth. The idea is to use the size thats close to the root diameter-the shank- of the screw and start sawing around and down it with the drill running in reverse. The spring pin will expand a little and grip the screw shank and wind it out most,-in my experience, all- of the time, no filler plug needed. And if it doesn't, it'll core around the shank and then pull it out, which has never happened to me. I even backed a broken tap out of some aluminum plate with one once.
    I forget the name of the company that was making them commercially, but they are a great little CYA tool!

Installing a dowel and cutting it off flush can result in scarring the adjacent finish. Better to install the right length dowel so it drives just below the surface. A little more prep but then you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Installing a dowel and cutting it off flush can result in scarring the adjacent finish. Better to install the right length dowel so it drives just below the surface. A little more prep but then you're done.
    Actually it is better to install a plug, not a dowel, with the grain lined up with the parent wood. Cutting it off flush then involves just a few strokes from a chisel, which can usually be done without scarring the surrounding finish. The plug necessarily must be finished. This for making a repair that will show.

Otherwise, if the repair can be hidden beneath the hinge, a dowel will work fine.
    Last edited by andy bessette; 10-19-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

+1 on a hollow screw extractor, then a dowel.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    The ones I have look like this, except the teeth are reversed so you run the drill in reverse.

Attachment 442990
    That's what I use, followed by a plug. Makes a very neat job.

I have also had success with "screw extractors" for larger screws. They are effectively a left-handerd drill designed to bite into the screw once started, and back it out. However, the screw extractors are hard to keep centered on small screws & damage the surrounding wood near the surface, again, for small screws.

To prevent delicate screws from breaking, I add a little insurance by pre-screwing the pilot hole with a properly sized gimlet. I rub a little wax on the gimlet which “lubricates“ the threads in the wood for the screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    That's what I use, followed by a plug. Makes a very neat job.
    If you have the right size of those toothed extractors, it will grab the broken off fastener and back it out of the hole, not requiring plugging...just a new screw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    To prevent delicate screws from breaking, I add a little insurance by pre-screwing the pilot hole with a properly sized gimlet. I rub a little wax on the gimlet which “lubricates“ the threads in the wood for the screw.
    That's what I do too. I've broken off too many screws in the past. Especially the little brass ones. Aaarghhh!!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Here's another way to back out a broken screw. Use a Dremel tool with an abrasive disc, the thin ones that can cut off metal. Cut a groove in the screw shank that you can fit a flat head screw driver in and give it a try. I know flat head screw drivers aren't the best for turning screws, especially ones that are tight, but it's a 5 minute solution if it works. If it doesn't work, it doesn't burn any bridges and you can go on to something else.