Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best old iron table saw ever?

Best old iron table saw ever?

I've seen this Fay and Egan in the background and in occasional not very interesting use in Dave Engels' coach shop videos for years. In this latest episode, he drags the thing out (Dave has shared photos of it at vintagemachinery.org as well) for some actual joinery, and WOW - what a saw. Massive, 16", sliding table, dual arbor, 10hp motor. 10HP would require me to rewire my shop, and the the footprint would be painful as well, but gosh, I got the gibbees on this one. The only thing I would dislike about this thing is that it's tilting table (not surprising for a 1908, dual arbor saw designed to be run off a line shaft with a flat belt).

I always like the Clausing 10 inch tablesaw with the nifty tilt angle indicator.
    Bill D.

Check out Jack's Wadkin, that's what I want.

https://youtu.be/b-NGFQCDlhw

So many nice old sliders out there; it would be hard to pick "the best".
    I am rebuilding one of my Robinson ET/E sliders. 7.5hp 18" blade. Sweet machines!

153417.jpg

20200812_194417 (2).jpg

I have a Robinson, Whitney 77, and Wadkin PK. All are sliders and each have advantages and disadvantages. Whatever you find in decent condition is the best. For the work I do, I prefer the Robinson but only slightly to the Whitney. The PK is the prettiest but the one i use the least. The Whitney has the most simple design and the Robinson is the most complicated. The Sliding table design is Robinson, Wadkin, and Whitney in that order. The later Wadkin PP may be the pick of the litter but they are very rare and built towards the end of the Wadkin era so you need extra care to make sure the table is flat.DSCN3564.jpgDSCN3691.jpgDSCN3534.jpg With the two blade saws like the Oliver 260, you need to make sure the mechanism that spins the two motors and spindles hasn't been damaged as that is a weak link in their design.

Greenlee 495S is a great slider, as is Stenner. Dave

The best table saw ever is anything with a 8'+ slider on it I'll never go back to a regular table saw after owning a proper slider.

Seriously though there are some amazing old iron TS's from Oliver, Wadkin, Northfield, etc. If I could have one for dedicated ripping I'd be open to that haha

Blog Entries
    I wonder if any companies have tried to sell old iron style saws as boutique and obviously expensive... Seems like there would be a small market for that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I wonder if any companies have tried to sell old iron style saws as boutique and obviously expensive... Seems like there would be a small market for that sort of thing.
    You can still buy Northfield's with a sliding table, straight out of the factory. Maybe not the sexiest of the old iron models, but still weighs in at 2000lbs, with an 18" blade capacity and 5HP motor. It'll only set you back about $43,000 or so.

Edited to add: Here's a used one for 3% or so of the cost of new. I don't think the seller even realizes it's a sliding table version.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 10-12-2020 at 4:47 PM.

All definitions of the "best" table saw are highly dependent upon it's intended use, shop size, power available, etc.

That said, some of those "old iron" saws are truly awesome!

But my Delta Unisaw, bought new in the early 90's with included 52" Unifence, while they were still made in the USA, is what's best for me, at least for as long as I don't have a shop that will handle a good slider.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Blog Entries
    dang. At that price, I'd expect 3PH 10 HP. Maybe the HP doesn't matter much past 5 HP with a blade with that much momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    All definitions of the "best" table saw are highly dependent upon it's intended use, shop size, power available, etc.

That said, some of those "old iron" saws are truly awesome!

But my Delta Unisaw, bought new in the early 90's with included 52" Unifence, while they were still made in the USA, is what's best for me, at least for as long as I don't have a shop that will handle a good slider.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    Of course, what you say is true. And there is a reason I didn't title the original post "best table saw ever," but put in the old iron modifier. There was meant to be some narrative and awe and wonder in this 110 year old machine, in use largely as designed, in an actual carriage shop building horse drawn vehicles. The right thing in the right place, just doing it's job just warms me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    You can still buy Northfield's with a sliding table, straight out of the factory. Maybe not the sexiest of the old iron models, but still weighs in at 2000lbs, with an 18" blade capacity and 5HP motor. It'll only set you back about $43,000 or so.

Edited to add: Here's a used one for 3% or so of the cost of new. I don't think the seller even realizes it's a sliding table version.
    It a good thing that's 18 hours away. Dang it'd sure fit my shop though....

The Northfield No. 4 sure looks a lot like my Tannewitz Model U (non sliding table.) It’s been a fantastic saw so far and cost me about the same as a top of the line Dewalt jobsite saw from the big box store (plus travel time to retrieve it.)
    Still waters run deep.

I personally would go with something after the war. Not that I know a thing, but I wouldn’t want a tilting table saw, for example. Designs typically improved over time as well. Comparing my Martin T17 to earlier versions of the same design as well as later versions, it improved over the years. The rip fence improved quite a bit, as well as more convenient features like external oil zerks, emergency stops etc. I know a lot subscribe to the motto of “older is better”, but sometimes better design trumps heavier weight.

I’ve heard several complaints against the north field no4. Most complaints were leveled at its size/height being uncomfortable. I can see why some feel that way after using a Powermatic 72 for a year. The blade is pretty far infield, which makes some joinery tasks a little uncomfortable. The north field looks like it would be a superb rip saw.

I’d pick something with a short stroke sliding table. I semi regret not buying a Robinson ETS 2 hours north of me a few months ago. Sold at IRS for $750.