Thread: I am going nuts trying to find a decent plan

I am going nuts trying to find a decent plan

Looking for a small but nice jewelry cabinet plan with a flip up top, side doors for necklaces, and a few drawers. Every search takes me to Teds woodworking, Pinterest which leads nowhere, or something similar. Where can a guy find decent plans these days? I’ve even seen what look like plan views of this box, but I’ll be darned if I can locate it. Any help appreciated!
    1DAB367F-7908-4F39-B573-2307186330F9.jpg

Probably a little bigger than your looking for, But here's one on U-Build http://mail.u-bild.com/woodworking-projects/830.htm

Doug

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking Woodsmith . . . let me check.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    Probably a little bigger than your looking for, But here's one on U-Build http://mail.u-bild.com/woodworking-projects/830.htm

Doug
    Thanks Doug!
    That is bigger than I was thinking but I did consider buying that plan and modifying it because it has the functions I want. I really ought to learn how to get my thoughts into sketch up!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm thinking Woodsmith . . . let me check.
    Thanks for the reply Glenn! I did check through woodsmith’s site with no luck. Possibly you will find something I missed!

Rockler has this: https://www.rockler.com/lingerie-and-jewelry-chest-plan . Seems similar to what you have in mind, but maybe too large.

If you have a good idea of what you want, or can find a picture just draw your own. Lots of articles in old FWW issues about how to scale a drawing from a photograph.

I'd make a sketch, then add rough dimensions so it fits where it needs to go or what is going to get put inside, then start adding detail and getting the proportions right. With a good basic drawing a detailed construction drawing is pretty easy if you need one to lay out joints etc. Most of the battle is getting the proportions to look right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bowers View Post
    Thanks for the reply Glenn! I did check through woodsmith’s site with no luck. Possibly you will find something I missed!
    No, I also failed. I’m sure I’ve seen one that’s very similar to that I will keep looking.

– Samuel Butler

This ​one from WoodSmith is pretty similar. It's in #197 (Nov 2011).
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Check out The Wood Whisperer Guild. Marc built a curved front version. It is also a series of videos showing the build as well as the plans. I've built a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Maloney View Post
    Check out The Wood Whisperer Guild. Marc built a curved front version. It is also a series of videos showing the build as well as the plans. I've built a few.
    I have seen this one and am considering buying the course

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Thank you, I am fortunate enough to have paper copies of every issue. If I end up designing my own I will be referencing this one

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    If you have a good idea of what you want, or can find a picture just draw your own. Lots of articles in old FWW issues about how to scale a drawing from a photograph.

I'd make a sketch, then add rough dimensions so it fits where it needs to go or what is going to get put inside, then start adding detail and getting the proportions right. With a good basic drawing a detailed construction drawing is pretty easy if you need one to lay out joints etc. Most of the battle is getting the proportions to look right.
    I am considering a CNC as the next big tool in my shop. This has me considering trying my hand at Fusion 360 or sketchup and having at it myself. Thank you for the response!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post

That is the one I was trying to find. Thanks Chris!

– Samuel Butler