Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What accessories to get with the Hammer A3-31?

What accessories to get with the Hammer A3-31?

I have a Hammer A3-31 showing up at the end of this month and have been checking out the accessories that go along with this machine. Specifically looking at the dial indicator for the hand wheel and the shorter extension tables. The dial indicator seems a bit pricey for what it is but think it might be somewhat helpful.

What accessories can everyone not live without on their Hammer A3 machines?

Tony, the dial indicator is not "somewhat helpful". It is "essential".

I have a table extension. Used it once in 4 or 5 years. Not important in my book.

The mobility kit is important, unless you have a lot more dedicated space than I do.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony,

I have the extentions for the jointer's infeed and outfeed. They come in very useful when milling long heavy lumber. I used the dial indicator extensively until I put a Wixey on the planer. I find that more friendly. As Derek said, the mobility kit is helpful unless you're going to put it in one spot and never move it. My shop doesn't have the floor space to do that. I eventually switched from the mobility kit to a Shop Fox heavy base and modified it so it has swivel casters on all 4 corners.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I put a Wixey on mine but had persistent problems with it getting knocked out of calibration for no discernable reason, and eventually took it off, threw it away, and bought the dial handwheel. I like DROs, but the dial handwheel is really great - and no batteries to replace, either. Highly recommended. While pricey, it's cheap compared to a Proscale DRO.

Once or twice I've wanted for the table extensions, but have lived without them.

Tony, like you, I have a A3-31 coming to me soon. After careful research, I decided I wanted the mobility kit, as I will probably move it fairly often. My current 15" 4-post planer doesn't have a digital readout and I've never missed it, so decided the handle wheel digital readout wasn't needed. I'm starting without the extensions, but may change my mind on that one after using it some.

Blog Entries
    Extension tables.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Like others have said, extension table(s).

However, for the jointer outfeed and planer outfeed, you also need a mounting rail for each location you intend to use. The jointer infeed extension table uses the same rail to which the fence mounts.

I purchased two rails, a single short extension table, and the handwheel insert with my A3-41.

I can mount the short table anywhere, and see if I want to buy an additional one.

Only a short extension table makes sense on the planer outfeed, since the planer table changes height with each (set of) pass(es), and the long extension table has a support leg that extends to the ground, and would have to be likewise adjusted.

My short table spends all of its time on the planer outfeed table (I have not yet jointed any pieces long enough to need it on the jointer.) It is handy there, and out of the way when the jointer is used, or the machine is parked in it's parking space in my garage shop.

I purchased a PM-3550 mobile base for my A3-41, upon recommendation from the folks at the Dallas Felder shop. It can roll in any direction, without steering. I need to roll my machine lengthwise out of its parking space, which, at the time, the Hammer mobility kit did not allow. I think they may have added a mounting option for the kit so that it can now roll lengthwise (and steer), if so mounted. But then getting it up alongside a wall can be a back-and-forth (and back-and-forth) affair. It's a lot easier on a mobile base that does not need to steer to roll in different directions.

I rented an engine lift to transfer the A3-41 from its shipping pallet onto the mobile base. I used a long, wide tow strap, looped twice under the cabinet. DO NOT LIFT from the tables. I had to jack up the pallet base on blocks so the engine lift's legs could roll under the pallet. I just used the scissor jack from my SUV, one end of the pallet at a time.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I went with the Bora Portmate mobile base, rather than the Hammer one. The Hammer mobile base only allows you to move the unit broad side, which wouldn't work for me.

I have the longer extension table, with the fold down support leg, as well as the short extension. The short extension stays permanently on the planer outfeed.

I bought the Imperial Dial Indicator, but switched to the metric one when I decided to go all metric for my 2020 New Year's resolution.

So I have an almost new Imperial Dial Indictor for sale if you are interested. You'll still need the aluminum wheel that this mounts into ($90 Shipped).

When going from Jointer to Planer, you need to wind the planer table down to about 7", so when going back, it's nice to see the depth easily as you bring the table back up to plane. There is a yellow depth ruler, that you can use, but I know I can go exactly to the cut depth or starting planer pass depth accurately with the dial indicator.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 10-10-2020 at 2:29 PM.

Key accessories:
    - dust collector fitting
    - dial indicator is helpful, especially if you need to switch back to jointing
    - wax
    - mobility option is helpful. my used a3-31 came with swiveling casters installed.

I don't have an extension table. It might be nice at times, but I'm normally just walking around the planer to grab each board as it comes out.

Matt

ChrisA,
    Which Boramate model did you go with? I just got my A3 31 delivered yesterday, and like you, the Hammer mobility setup is not going to be sufficient. Are you happy with the Bora? To add another wrinkle, the machine is not a perfect rectangle. I measure one long side as 27 1/4" and the other as 25". Was this an issue for the base? Thanks in advance. Mark

Essential items in my opinion

- right angle connector for dust extraction

- digital height gauge for planer, mine’s metric

- a pair of short table extens, one is always on the planer outfeed so short pieces don’t fall on the floor

- Silber Gleit, works better than wax.

Regards, Rod

The common kit I seem to sell with every A3 is (like everyone has mentioned):

-Aluminum handwheel
    -Dial indicator in your preference of metric/imperial
    -(2) mounting rails for extension tables
    -(1) extension table

Folks will sometimes splurge for the long extension table with the telescopic leg. Mobility kits seem to be 50/50 between OEM and Portamate. I always suggest the 90-degree dust fitting though some order it, some don't. I think the Magport will pretty soon be "the" coupler for most Hammer and Felder hobby machines.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have this JP.

I used to have Great Lakes casters which in theory can lock and level but we’re ultimately a pain. I changed them for good locking swivel casters and am very happy. Skip the mobility kit imho.

Get the aluminum hand wheel with digital readout. Very accurate. I haven’t had to reset mine in 5 years.

Get the extension tables. You can make your own but the reliability of the aluminum ones would have been well appreciated by me many times.

The digital height gauge is a must get. Its awesome. I put an extension on the planer outfeed and that is really usefull. I dont find a need to put extensions on the jointer beds. I used leveling casters for mobility.

Absolutely get the digital handwheel insert. And the short extension table too. Those two accessories will add to the machine's usefulness incredibly. I am on my second and third Felder combos and wouldn’t be without those two things.

The long extension with the leg is very useful on the saws and shapers, and on the bandsaw too if you install coupling rails. All of my machines now have F rails, including router table and drill press because the Felder/Hammer extensions are just so useful.

Although I have the 90° dust fitting I am going to migrate to magport.

Greg