Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basement shop dust collection

Basement shop dust collection

Hi folks. Putting together a small basement shop {22 x 12} and looking for some input on dust collector. Tools I have are a very old delta unisaw, drill press, 6" jointer, 14" bandsaw, router table, miter saw and an ra saw. Ya things are a little tight. Anyway, my second issue is ceiling height is a little low. One dc I was looking at is Jets dc-1100vx-ck. Seems to get pretty good reviews and is 120v which I'm afraid is a must. Rolling around from tool to tool would be difficult. So I guess my real question is would this dc be to small for a limited amount of duct work? Anyone have this specific model set up in a similar way? Or can you recommend something different or another option for a set up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Have a great day and be safe

Good morning, Cousin.

I've not used the Jet, but dealt with the tool-to-tool dust collection dance for years (...until this year). If you fit suitable quick-coupler to the DC and to the tools, it is manageable. I'll leave it at that and let others weigh in with direct experience with 1.5hp DCs.

LOL. Thanks Cous

I looked around years ago and found one that was short enough to fit in my basement. 2HP JDS, they are no longer in business, but glad I did vs moving dust collect around. I gave up some performance, but glad I found somethingcompleted retrofit.jpg to fit in my height. Brian
    Brian

I have a delta 50-760 which is advertised at1200 cfm. I ran 2 4" spiral ducts down each side of my basement. One is about 15' long, the other about 20'. Thes are connected to DC with flex. At roughly 4' marks on those runs I spliced in 4" wyes and run 4" flex to the standing machines, which have blast gates. Another port has a general use 4" flex that gets attached to machines that get pulled out for use. All other unused ports are closed off with a rubber cap. I'm sure many might point out that the ducts are undersized, but I was budget constrained at the time and the system does a decent job.

I've recently changed out screw wire band clamps for these quick connect from Woodcraft. I've bought these in store for less than they show on their site. They reduced the time to make connection changes down to seconds vs minutes.

Edit: I also originally used silicone caulk to seal joints. That only lasted 5-6 years before it failed. I resealed all those joints with Xtreme tape, which isn't cheap, but it works really well.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 10-10-2020 at 12:07 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I use the motor and blower from a HF 2hp DC mounted to the wall of my small shop (14x24) pulling through an Oneida Super Dust Deputy and discharging outside. I built the collection box below the cyclone to fit the available space. I have drops for my bandsaw, CMS, table saw, and a long 4 inch flex hose I use for the other tools and to sweep up. Works well. I used 5 inch snap lock pipe to hook it up (if you do this, get from HD, Lowe's pipe is noticably thinner). I might upgrade the impeller to a Rikon at some point but I also may not. It works as is. I get enough dust flow to avoid dust buildup in the tools. I probably still get a significant increase in fine dust in the shop, however, when I use the tools. I haven't bought the tool to measure that yet. I kind of doubt that which 120V DC you use affects that much, however.

This setup fits into a space about 18"x18" in the corner of my shop - so not much floor space used. I could put a filter on it and may if I add heating and cooling to the shop garage. I would use a cartridge filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do exactly this and am happy with it. I am only using it for my lathe but it’s a great solution. You can make it as tall or short as you need because you have to build the rack or wall mounts.

I have the Jet 1200 and my floor to bottom of joist are 68" It works well for me, I have it across from the table saw and pull the planner or jointer in aisle way when i need to use them. I just use flex. I would like to do a central duct but don't feel it would do much better for all the added effort.

If you opt for a bag type DC, you can always get shorter and fatter...and much better quality...filter bags from American Fabric Filter, etc., so that you can deal with the ceiling height and also have better filtration than the OEM bags. For the Jet you mention, I'd recommend you keep it portable and roll it to the tool you intend to use for best performance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I have a delta 50-760 which is advertised at1200 cfm. I ran 2 4" spiral ducts down each side of my basement. One is about 15' long, the other about 20'. Thes are connected to DC with flex. At roughly 4' marks on those runs I spliced in 4" wyes and run 4" flex to the standing machines, which have blast gates. Another port has a general use 4" flex that gets attached to machines that get pulled out for use. All other unused ports are closed off with a rubber cap. I'm sure many might point out that the ducts are undersized, but I was budget constrained at the time and the system does a decent job.

I've recently changed out screw wire band clamps for these quick connect from Woodcraft. I've bought these in store for less than they show on their site. They reduced the time to make connection changes down to seconds vs minutes.

Edit: I also originally used silicone caulk to seal joints. That only lasted 5-6 years before it failed. I resealed all those joints with Xtreme tape, which isn't cheap, but it works really well.
    I had basically this same setup at Brian, but has@d a Thien separator and Wynn filter as well. Worked nicely. I have a slightly bigger basement shop with higher ceilings so now have a Clearview cyclone. Different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I had basically this same setup at Brian, but has@d a Thien separator and Wynn filter as well. Worked nicely. I have a slightly bigger basement shop with higher ceilings so now have a Clearview cyclone. Different animal.
    I have been considering adding both the separater and wynn filter now that I've retired and spending a lot more time in the shop.

How's the noise level on that cyclone?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have a Jet 1100CK that I converted to a vortex unit using the Jet kit. I am connected to a Laguna 1412 bandsaw and a Hammer 12 “ jointer planer. The bandsaw has 10 feet of 4” flex and the jointer planer has around 15 feet of flex with blast gates on both lines. Sometimes I leave both gates open and still get good suction. The Vortex is not a cyclone but it is very good. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I have been considering adding both the separater and wynn filter now that I've retired and spending a lot more time in the shop.

How's the noise level on that cyclone?
    I don’t have any kind of sound enclosure right now, so it’s loud. I haven’t taken any dB readings though. But, I generally use hearing protection on the jointer and planer, so putting on the ear muffs when it’s on isn’t a big deal. At some point I might make an enclosure for it.

Folks have been known to dig a pit in the floor to install a big bandsaw. I would not want to wrestle a full dust bin out of a pit. They are hard enough to wrestle on the flat floor.
    Bil lD.

I don't even have a basement. But i only have an 8' ceiling in my garage/shop. And needed the collector to fit under the overhead door.
    I have a cyclone. It is not quiet, but it isn't as loud as my Delta overhead air filter (50-875). But I have earplugs in whenever any of that is running anyway.

2020-10-14 19.33.54.jpg This is a smart cyclone (or something like that) from Oneida. I think it is a Smart Gorilla or something now.
    25" to spare to my 8' ceiling. And no issues with the overhead door clearing it. (Plus wheels... I like mobility).