Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper Template Bearing is too tight

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    My guess is your stuck in the Grizzly standard operating procedure. Enjoy your misery.
    haha, this made me laugh. My issue is my craigslist addiction. I got an excellent deal on the cutterhead off Clist, but then i needed a matching bearing. That is how the bear got me....

Sounds like you got the Chinese version of 1 1/4". Maybe the Grizzly shapers have shafts that are slightly under 1 1/4"? You could look around at what it would cost to replace that bearing vs buy the collar from a different company. If you did replace the bearing at least you would know who makes it and most likely end up with a name brand. I just don't know if it makes sense. I'm guessing the bearing is pressed onto the collar so if you can remove it and install the new one you'll have the expense of paying someone to do it on top of the price of a new bearing.

Looked to me that a sleeve was inside the bearing?

Yeah, the spindle probably is wavy .....seen a few of them! But unless you have had problems before blame the tooling ,
    and send it back. Probably got new old stock status by being too tight to work, like some employees get get too "tight "
    to work and are sent back home.

Oops, I should have read all ,but did not. Being the spindle I would not hesitate to mark the tight spots and scrub them
    down with file or hone. I include file because some ,at least ,of the spindles are file-able. Spindle running ,it's the one
    that needs to lose weight ! File next to spare tire
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 12-03-2020 at 7:30 PM.

Did you check the inside jaws of your calipers in the cutterhead for reference? The ends can get dinged up from dropping them and make them read undersize. Hard to believe a ball bearing would be 8 thou off.

If that checks out, check for burrs on the end of the spindle, or a ding that raised up a bump.

Looking at the original post quote:
    "The steel cutterhead bore is fine, slides onto the spindle no problem."
    Then quote:
    "My Felder spindle is 1.249". This makes sense, make it a thou undersized so cutterheads go on and come off. Measured the ID of the grizzly rub bearing and its 1.242"

Do you have other cutters that go on the spindle ok ?? If so, that says to me the spindle, etc is ok....

To have a bearing .008" too small is a problem with the bearing.

Tolerances NEED to be close on anything that spins as fast as a shaper....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Looking at the original post quote:
    "The steel cutterhead bore is fine, slides onto the spindle no problem."
    Then quote:
    "My Felder spindle is 1.249". This makes sense, make it a thou undersized so cutterheads go on and come off. Measured the ID of the grizzly rub bearing and its 1.242"

Do you have other cutters that go on the spindle ok ?? If so, that says to me the spindle, etc is ok....

To have a bearing .008" too small is a problem with the bearing.

Tolerances NEED to be close on anything that spins as fast as a shaper....
    Yeah, i have about 10-12 other steel cutterheads from reputable makers that go on the spindle easily--NAP/Gladu, Stark, Felder and the like. Honestly, the grizzly spiral head is just fine too. Its this dumb bearing. It seemed odd to me as well that it would be off this much, but it makes sense. I cant get it started onto the spindle. Whelp, i contacted them to send this one back. third time's the charm, allegedly.

Patrick dont feel bad. have a German tool and die maker friend properly trained in Europe. I had stuff done over the years, simple easy fast simple machines accurate to .0005. I ask for a sleeve for a bearing to increase it .020, he says slip fit? interferance fit? or press fit? Makes the sleeve and fits perfect.

Years later he doesnt have his shop, I go to a very busy CNC machine shop. give them a drawing to make a spacer. come back wont fit my spindle off 1/8", get them to make a new one, come back still doenst fit. There are 30 CNC machines there yet they still cant make a friggin spacer. Pathetic. You are all likely sick of me harping about old european guys. I know how advanced things are now they can print Titantium now. Sounds like the bearing was made by the CNC shop I went to

Have you ever noticed bearings, I take my front end apart 92 roadmaster and if I replace the bearings with new ones say SKF, how can they be lighter than the bearings in the car from 1992?

Some bicycle bearings got lighter, the balls inside the bearings are made of Silicon Nitride, which is about 30% lighter than steel.
    Order a larger ID and have a bushing made to fit your spindle.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 12-04-2020 at 11:31 PM.

European machinery and tooling mfgs work to ISO specs for size of shafts and bore of cutters. H7 for bore and G6 for shaft. From what I have seen I believe US standards are a little tighter (no idea if ISO standards are used here of something else) all my domestic made 1.25 tooling Fit the shafts slightly tighter than Euro made tooling. I have some domestic made bearings from way back and they are also a slightly tighter fit than the euro ones. They all work and never noticed any cutter performance difference with the looser fit. I have had problems with too tight a fit on reduction bushings made by US mfgs. These get tricky because the part that fits into the cutter has to be slightly smaller yet than the bore of the cutter.

Happens I have the Grizzly 2" high spiral cutter and a 4" bearing rub collar. I think I got my rub collar from Magnate vs. Grizzly who I have bought rub collars from before. No particular reason I went with one or the other, I've bought from both.
    OP might want to check into other brands to see what they have. Some are Magnate, Freud, Amana but I don't know which sell 4" OD 1 1/2" id bearing shaper collars other than Magnate.

I have an Amana rub collar that uses a bearing that presses into different diameter aluminum outside rings to match up with different cutter diameters. It is the collar that I use with my spiral cutter that is 100mm diameter.

The joke in the shop here is that the Chinese strategy for the US market is to make products that are essentially full scale models of a thing, rather than design and engineer things that will function well. This gets you pot metal parts that break, low grade screws that strip and break, tolerances that are "sorta close", etc. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions, and this is a joke, but every time something like this happens, we shake our heads.

I've gotten shaper rub bearings at Grizzly that fit fine. But it absolutely doesn't surprise me to read about your situation, OP. I've had multiple Chinese router bit bearings that did not match the minor diameter of the grind on the bit's carbide, making them useless...
    JR