Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaper Template Bearing is too tight

Shaper Template Bearing is too tight

I recently picked up a new old stock helical template cutterhead. It is a grizzly 4" diameter and 3" tall helical head. It didnt have a rub bearing, so i ordered one from Grizzly last week. Now that i have both in hand, the rub bearing is incredibly tight on the 1.25" spindle. To the point where i would almost need to hammer the bearing onto the spindle with conduit/pipe. Is this a QC problem, or am i doing something wrong? The steel cutterhead bore is fine, slides onto the spindle no problem.

Make sure it’s not a 30mm bearing
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Crap, that is a fantastic thought. Would make a lot of sense. I just checked my
    Order and it is 1-1/4”, but they could have shipped me the incorrect part. My
    Calipers have a dead battery, or else I’d measure the inside diameter.

If it was a 30mm bore, it would be over 1/16" undersized. It wouldn't begin to even start on the arbor.

I had a few cutters that were too tight to drop down onto the spindle. I took a 3/4" twist drill and forced them onto that and spun them onto it. I saw no evidence of any metal removal but it cleaned the bores and opened them up just enough that they now drop on a pull off very easy. I do not know if your inner race will be soft enough to do anything or not.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I had a few cutters that were too tight to drop down onto the spindle. I took a 3/4" twist drill and forced them onto that and spun them onto it. I saw no evidence of any metal removal but it cleaned the bores and opened them up just enough that they now drop on a pull off very easy. I do not know if your inner race will be soft enough to do anything or not.
    Bil lD
    1 1/4" twist drills are kinda hard and expensive to come by. Maybe he'd get lucky with a surplus wholesaler. A brake cylinder hone would be a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-09-2020 at 10:44 PM.

I tried a brake hone and a few minutes did nothing for me.
    Bil lD

If it's the correct nominal size and there's nothing wrong with your spindle then it's a factory dud and it's reasonable for you to expect better. Send it back. Most home grown solutions will result in an inferior end product IMO.

B

I had a new one like that, really tight to slide on a 1-1/4 spindle. A little white lithium grease, and it went on with no problem.

Hi, its me again. Returned the original and received the replacement last night. You guessed it, the same exact result. This time i broke out the starrett and measured things. My Felder spindle is 1.249". This makes sense, make it a thou undersized so cutterheads go on and come off. Measured the ID of the grizzly rub bearing and its 1.242". This part doesnt make sense to me. I feel like this one should be 1.251" to allow it to slide onto spindles easily. I didnt measure the first one i had, but i assume this will be the case with everyone they send me. Seven thousandths seems like a lot of metal to remove by hand with sandpaper. Should i modify this or return it for good and try to find a rub bearing to match the outside diameter of the grizzly cutterhead? This is a spiral head for template shaping.
    bearing.jpgspindle.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Hi, its me again. Returned the original and received the replacement last night. You guessed it, the same exact result. This time i broke out the starrett and measured things. My Felder spindle is 1.249". This makes sense, make it a thou undersized so cutterheads go on and come off. Measured the ID of the grizzly rub bearing and its 1.242". This part doesnt make sense to me. I feel like this one should be 1.251" to allow it to slide onto spindles easily. I didnt measure the first one i had, but i assume this will be the case with everyone they send me. Seven thousandths seems like a lot of metal to remove by hand with sandpaper. Should i modify this or return it for good and try to find a rub bearing to match the outside diameter of the grizzly cutterhead? This is a spiral head for template shaping.
    bearing.jpgspindle.jpg
    Is your cutter a metric diameter ( measure it please). I presume the guide is exactly the size of your cutter at present.

If the rub collar you have is exactly the diameter you want, have a shop press out the sleeve inside the bearing and bore it to the correct size......Rod.

I live near FS Tools so I use them for this, any cutter manufacturer will be able to do that for you......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    bearing.jpgspindle.jpg
    Can you see any numbers on the bearing? 60xx or similar, that will tell you the bearing size and can be looked up the give you the inside bore of the bearing, probably in mm's

I like Rod's idea but I don't see a ring inside of the bearing.

Don't try to modify the inside bore of the bearing, won't work.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

It is an R20z bearing, which according to the web, should have an inside diameter of 1-1/4". Outside diameter of 2-1/4".

The outside diameter of the rub bearing is 3.999". Its supposed to be 4", so that works out there. The grizzly cutterhead is difficult for me to measure a diameter. I need to catch the far edge of two opposite cutters, but those cutters arent in the same plane, which means my calipers are skewed to register each edge. The cutterhead is supposed to be 4" OD as well.
    3-1/8" Spiral Cutterhead at Grizzly.com

Don't know why the I.D. of the bearing would be undersized.

You could go to a local industrial supplier, Motion Ind. etc., and get a R20 bearing, measure it, and put it in the collar yourself. Defeats the idea of ordering one though.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

My guess is your stuck in the Grizzly standard operating procedure. Enjoy your misery.