Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attaching a pergola to ledger board on roof

Attaching a pergola to ledger board on roof

After completely taking over my parents garage for something around 6 months now with my new woodworking hobby I'm on the hook for building them a new pergola. I'm eager to get this built as my mom has wanted one for years and both my parents have been incredibly patient with me considering they haven't been able to park their car in the garage for 6 months now. I am looking to build it 12' x 20' with one side of the 20' length attached to the roof and this is where I'm stuck. Ideally I'd mount this to a ledger board attached to the house wall with some joist hangers but unfortunately it would sit too low due to the soffit so I'm looking at connecting it to the roof instead. I was thinking again use a ledger board with some type of sloped joist hanger to accommodate the angle of the roof but wanted to run it by you guys first. I've seen some full pergola kits for roof attaching with custom brackets that look nice, though they don't sell just the mounts, I'd have to buy the whole $6k plus kit. Is a sloped joist hanger the way to go here? Really not set on that idea but all I could really come up with outside of going custom. The brackets I'm looking at all seem to be interior brackets as well, not sure if that structurally matters but something I definitely want to vet out, especially since I need to get a permit.

Blog Entries
    That wouldn't really be a ledger board on the edge of the roof. It's a facia, which is probably just 1X board that is nailed to the ends of the trusses/rafters. There is no structural strength there at all. It's just to close in the edge of the roof structure & make it look pretty.

Post some pics & you'll get better answers.

Take a look at the skylift roof risers, I've been wanting to use them but haven't had the opportunity yet
    https://www.skylifthardware.com/default.asp
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That wouldn't really be a ledger board on the edge of the roof. It's a facia, which is probably just 1X board that is nailed to the ends of the trusses/rafters. There is no structural strength there at all. It's just to close in the edge of the roof structure & make it look pretty.

Post some pics & you'll get better answers.
    Sorry, not putting it at the edge of the roof but rather on top of the soffit or further back. I'll try to get over there today and take some pictures of the space.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    Take a look at the skylift roof risers, I've been wanting to use them but haven't had the opportunity yet
    https://www.skylifthardware.com/default.asp

That does look interesting, thanks for the tip!

personally I would support it totally separate from the house
    asking for potential water penetration at every flashing
    I also will not attach a deck to a house
    I will attach a porch however have to be very careful how it is detailed at the attachment points
    good luck
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    I will attach a porch however have to be very careful how it is detailed at the attachment points
    good luck
    Ron
    OK I'll bite when does a porch become a deck?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    OK I'll bite when does a porch become a deck?
    deck is not a porch where I come from, maybe elsewhere, might just be my age showing.
    Do have a multi level deck on the back of my house and a small front porch
    NO decks around when I was growing up. Rare to see a house without a porch growing up, now not usual to see one
    don't like when the porches get closed in to use as "4 season rooms"
    let's not get started on stoops vs porches
    Ron

deck is not a porch where I come from, maybe elsewhere, might just be my age showing.
    Do have a multi level deck on the back of my house and a small front porch
    NO decks around when I was growing up. Rare to see a house without a porch growing up, now not usual to see one
    don't like when the porches get closed in to use as "4 season rooms"
    let's not get started on stoops vs porches
    Ron
    I like the sound of having a stoop, though I'd actually prefer a porch.

good luck
    Ron
    We thought about that but with how narrow the patio is we felt we'd be losing too much usable space to make room for the 8 x 8 posts.

I agree with what Ron said about not fastening it to the top of the roof.

Around here, a deck doesn't have a roof, but a porch does.

good luck
    Ron
    Great advice. The first house our daughter wanted to buy had a deck that wasn't long from a rebuild. While the inspector was inside the house I looked at the deck. I took out a pocket knife, and I could bury it into the house rim joist that the deck was lagged to. The builder did not use any flashing and with a joint against the house, it stayed wet all the time and made for a rotten deck frame and structural damage to the house. $20 of flashing or spacers to keep the deck frame away from the house would have prevented thousands of dollars of damage. She did not buy that house!

I agree with others, the roof system is no where close to being designed to handle loads or slight movements of the pergola. It would require an engineer to prevent problems, leaks and resale issues later. The requirements for attaching anything to the house has gotten so involved that builders make them self standing. Even a self standing pergola of that size is something that needs an engineer to design.

I would talk to them about a gazebo. It's a much better feel and nice to be able to see in all directions. You can fit them
    with curtains or shades all around. A small gazebo would be cozy and too small to attract spontaneous neighborhood
    parties. If the yard is open and sunny a "noon mark" would be nice, it's something that people have used and enjoyed
    for thousands of years. There are so many wonderful things that your neighbors don't have and don't know a thing about,
    And since a gazebo is not touching the house you most likely don't need a building permit.

I remember in 2015 when 6 people died in Berkeley when a balcony collapsed due to rot. The attachment to the building was not flashed properly. They decided it was also completed in the rain so the sealed wall was damp inside for five yeas before it rotted enough to collapse under less then a full rated load.
    The city soon thereafter closed the public fishing pier and will probably never spend the money to rebuild it.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-10-2020 at 1:27 PM.