Thread: Rikon 1/2 or 1HP Grinder?

Rikon 1/2 or 1HP Grinder?

I am looking at the Rikon Slow speed grinders as part of my sharpening system w CBN wheels at the recomendation of a friend.

How superior is the 1HP model to the 1/2 HP ? Is it worth the extra money ? And why ?

Absolutely yes! It powers up remarkably fast, doesn’t falter on holding speed, and can handle the added weight of two large CBN wheels.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I have the 1HP Rikon + Mega Square combo and love it. It was an upgrade from the 1/2HP Rikon with two of the 4-in-1 wheels.

I never even considered the 1/2 hp model. Part of that is because, after 30 years of concrete construction, I prefer things over built rather than under built. I have 2 of the 1 hp Rikon grinders to go with 2 Baldor grinders. The Rikon can keep up with the Baldor grinders power wise, and are 1/4 the price. They do not run as smooth as the Baldor grinders, but for the price, it is a great grinder. Both will handle the solid steel wheels from D Way, and those are what I have the most of.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Seidman View Post
    I am looking at the Rikon Slow speed grinders as part of my sharpening system w CBN wheels at the recomendation of a friend.

How superior is the 1HP model to the 1/2 HP ? Is it worth the extra money ? And why ?
    I have one of each. They both work ok for sharpening lathe tools with the AlOx or aluminum CBN wheels but it's a little wimpy. The heavier steel CBN wheels have been a problem for some with the 1/2hp grinder - some reported having to give the wheel a push with the hand to get the grinder going.

That said, of the two Rikons I far prefer the more powerful grinder for the extra power on startup. A couple of things: the light is worthless and the tools rests provided were not as good of quality as advertised (if you call they will send you the better tool rests). That didn't matter much to me since I use the Wolverine rests.

I also have a no-name 3/4hp and it's good too.

JKJ

When CBN wheels became kind of affordable, some folks put 2 on the 1/2hp. For some, they said it felt like they should give it a spin by hand before hitting the switch because it started so slowly.

What John Keeton said. Would not even consider the 1/2HP after using the 1HP. I started with the 1/2.

I have the half horse with one cbn wheel and one normal wheel. It works just fine. If I planned to install 2 cbn, I think I'd go with the 1 hp just to have some margin.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'd get the 1hp. We bought one for our club and it's at full speed in a second. I was at a friend's house the other day and went to sharpen a gouge on his 1/2 HP Rikon with one CBN and one stone wheel. I wondered why it was only running at half speed while I sharpened, that's when my friend said you have to wait for it to build up speed. So I stopped and waited what seemed like 5-10 seconds for it to build up speed. I'm not used to that, and if that were mine it would drive me nuts. I would probably put off sharpening until it's absolutely necessary (which is bad) just because of having to wait on the grinder. Get the 1hp and you'll never have regrets.