Thread: Changing a Bandsaw Tire: Do I need to use contact cement on new tire?

Changing a Bandsaw Tire: Do I need to use contact cement on new tire?

Howdy, All:

I purchased an entry-level Ryobi 9" bandsaw on CL. The gentleman who sold it to me ran it with a blade installed, and it did just fine. The blade was old and I wanted to have something fresh and new, for easier and better cuts. I purchased a new blade and when I attempted to install it, it kept slipping off the tires. The saw is pretty old, so I thought perhaps the tires have lost their grip.

The replacement tires I purchased were the factory OE tires from Ryobi, part number 0891406067. I looked high and low on the internet and can find no real specs on these tires. I assume they are NOT urethane, or it would be noted.

I looked at some YT install vids and only one of them suggested gluing the new tire in place with contact cement. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and advice.

sm

Hi Scott

Since this is new to you, it is more likely that you simply do not have enough blade tension. Crank it up.

While blades may appear the same, they could be slightly longer or shorter, slightly thicker or thinner steel, and require more or less tension than the previous set up. It sounds like you need to crank it up. Look up videos where blades are installed and the "flutter" method of setting tension.

The tyre (tire) does not need to be replaced.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Scott

Since this is new to you, it is more likely that you simply do not have enough blade tension. Crank it up.

While blades may appear the same, they could be slightly longer or shorter, slightly thicker or thinner steel, and require more or less tension than the previous set up. It sounds like you need to crank it up. Look up videos where blades are installed and the "flutter" method of setting tension.

The tyre (tire) does not need to be replaced.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, thanks so much for writing from Down Under. I did watch some vids before attempting to install the new blade. It is indeed plausible that there was not enough tension. I wii try again.

Thanks

I used contact cement on mine.

They were so difficult to install, I doubt it was necessary. I ended up using a Bessey F clamp to hold the tire down and another clamp to keep the wheel from spinning.

It's probably worthwhile to get a little help.

I just changed one, on that saw. I didn't use any adhesive, and I would not use contact cement. With contact cement, you only get 1 shot at putting it on in the right spot...... I have changed tires on 2 other band saws that I never used glue on. Those manuals didn't say to use adhesives. I'm sure some do say to us an adhesive. My Shopsmith, said to and I did use a regular glue, not contact cement. So long ago I forget what glue I used.
    I do like that cheapo saw. It cuts straight. But I did spend lots of time tuning it.

Jim, how did you keep that tire from sticking in the wrong spot? All the tires I out on were hard to put on. CC sticks as soon as the parts hit each other.

Contact Cement! Don't know if that's possible. Don't think any adhesive is needed.

Blog Entries
    Not a tire changing expert, but if you felt you needed glue, wouldn't rubber cement be the choice? Longer open time and it has some give to it.
    NOW you tell me...

Hey guys, the only reason Scott mentioned adding a new tyre was that the bandsaw blade was slipping. He does not need a new tyre - he just needs more downhaul! ..er .. tension

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-17-2020 at 8:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    So Scott, how did it work out?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I am curious too. I have a Shopfox 14” bandsaw that was horrible to use. I bought it new with a 6” riser to give it a 12” opening for cutting bowl blanks. It would drift and I could push the blade off the wheel. I didn’t have much experience with bandsaws so I didn’t know what the issue was. Some blades would work marginally and others wouldn’t tension at all.

At work (hardwood sawmill and veneer mill) we have two head rigs ( bandsaws) with 8 ft wheels. We were messing with the tension systems and it dawned on me especially after talking with our filers. The blade didn’t have enough tension. I had the adjustment maxed out. I put an 1/8” shim between the top frame and the top of the riser block and it works great. The scale is even in approximate range with the shin installed.

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this solution but it worked for me. I can only assume that it was the wrong block or something wasn’t machined to the proper dimension.

It works well now.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 10-17-2020 at 2:49 PM.

You'll know if you need a new tire....... I know mine was loose enough to pry up and off the wheel with my fingers. The new tire, jeezus...... I thought I bought the wrong sized tire, I'm sure I looked pretty amusing installing it to a casual observer. I like the clamp idea to hold things. I was way too stubborn to stop and apply logic, and only won the battle because refused to loose the fight.

Whether you need new tires or not should be able to be determined by looking at them. For example if the existing tires are cracked and/or damaged in some way, then you probably should replace them and start fresh. If there is no obvious damage to the existing tires, I would try to refine your setup instead. A good reference is a YouTube Alex Snodgrass video demonstrating his method for bandsaw setup. It works. I'm sure there are other methods of setup out there, but Alex's is simple and, as far as I'm concerned, fool proof. Anyway going through the few steps involved in setup is easier than replacing the tires and is something you will need to do repetitively over the life of the saw whereas tire replacement is rarely needed.

I replaced my Rikon OE tires with urethane tires from Carter. They are great and relatively easy to install; no cement with urethane tires.

As a final note, contact Rikon Support for information about whether cement is required on their OE tires or not. They have always been helpful when I've contacted them and, since the tires were purchased from them and match the OE when the saw was new, their support people would certainly know.