Thread: Williams and Hussey W-7 bearings

Williams and Hussey W-7 bearings

This info may be helpful to some so I think I'll pass it along.. There are 3 bearings inside the gear case, you can order them from W&H, (who has just been purchased by the Original Saw Company, 10/1/2020). Or you can out source them yourself. There are (2) P-125 bearings and (1) P-126 bearing.

P-125 is a 1601ZZ bearing
    P-126 is a 1602ZZ bearing

I don't know more yet about any of the gears, but I hope this helps someone out there to purchase at a fair price and a quick turnaround.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

why zz and not sealed?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    why zz and not sealed?
    Bil lD

If they are contained INSIDE the gear case, then do they run in a oil bath of gear oil? If so, then you don't want them sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    If they are contained INSIDE the gear case, then do they run in a oil bath of gear oil? If so, then you don't want them sealed.
    If they are inside I would think they would be open not zz? I have heard of pulling the seals off one side of a bearing so oil could get in from the gearbox and the seal stops it from leaking outside. I obviously have no idea where these bearings are, but still good to know the numbers in the future for other readers . Thanks.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-09-2020 at 11:06 PM.

I would def think zz would be fine without removing the shield on one side. Oil will def find a way inside passing the shield over time. I certainly don't think a sealed bearing is necessary in this application and may not last as long due to the increase in friction.

OT to this thread, but over at NC Woodworker, a poster picked up a WH from a thrift store for $95. OUCH!

OT to this thread, but over at NC Woodworker, a poster picked up a WH from a thrift store for $95. OUCH!
    I posted this before , but I worked for a guy who had one of those and I refused to use it. He was using just one knife
    and a chunk of steel for a balance. The machine would go for walks while it was working. I told him he should just open
    door and let it walk out. And I always called it the "vegematic ".

This is a good point. The one I removed was just Z, but it was so beat up that I thought the seal was just beat to hell. AND, it's not been able to hold oil since I got it, so I have a new gasket on the way. You think I should remove a seal? I don't use it but once a year for a few board feet. Right now I need to run 10 BF of 6" crown to match a project I'm working on for a client with an OLD house.

Jack

Shields and seals are different. Z is a shield which is metal and non contact so oil will penetrate easily and grease will also to a lesser extent. They run cooler and have less friction than a contact seal which is usually designated R or RS. Oil will penetrate some but generally grease will not go in or come out. Dave

I'll be using gear oil, so I should be good then. Thank you!

Jack