Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Carvex Jigsaw

Festool Carvex Jigsaw

At an Amazon warehouse returns clearance store, I came across a Festool Carvex Jigsaw, new, for 60% off.

Brought it home and it sat for about six months without me ever using it.

Then I had to cut something that neither my tablesaw, bandsaw or SMCS couldn't do the job, so out came the Carvex. It worked well.

So now, when I need an 18" piece of wood off a 10ft plank, I go to the Carvex. It cuts fast, clean and is the most accurate Jigsaw I've ever used.

It's starting to become a bit of a go to tool.

I had one but was not as impressed as you are. I eventually sold it. I have a DeWalt cordless jigsaw that fits my needs very well.

The only Festool tool that I think is really great is the Domino.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I believe the Carvex is a rebranded Bosch with a few more accessories. I like my Bosch - for a much cheaper price.

For $125 you got great deal if you like the saw.

Jim - it is NOT a rebadged Bosch. Not even a close cousin.

Mafell makes the best jigsaw as long as you don’t mind a barrel grip.

Carvex’s shortcomings are that every time you change a blade, you have to adjust the guides. And that requires a tool. If you want to cut a bevel, your going to have to pony up another $100 or $200 for an accessory to do so. And then your going to be limited which side of the board you use it on.

Strangely enough, my very first Festool purchase was a jigsaw based on actually getting to use one for a few days and how nicely and accurately it cut really thick stock. There are just some jobs where it's the right tool. I've even usd it to sculpt faux natural edge contours on a table project where the original sapwood was unsalvageable because of insect damage and dry rot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have never had good luck with any jigsaw. Seems like a simple tool. A blade goes up and down really fast. My cuts are never square.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    I have never had good luck with any jigsaw. Seems like a simple tool. A blade goes up and down really fast. My cuts are never square.
    The better tools with proper blade guides like the Bosch and the Festool, etc., along with quality blades do tend to cut much better from a perpendicular to the material standpoint. That was something I actually tested back when I was considering the tool and it was easy to put the old B&D in the trash at that point after cutting 3" thick material with zero issues. Perfect? Probably not. But it was a wow moment.
    --

I use my barrel grip Bosch a lot. We have one at church where I volunteer that is about the same except top handle. Another experienced volunteer was surprised he has to push the church's saw at a bit of an angle for it to cut straight. Might be the blade but I think mine needs to be pushed at a bit of an angle sometimes. Top to bottom of the cut is sometimes at a bit of an angle, especially if there is a knot or something. I waited to get a bandsaw instead of using my Bosch to make some three inch thick curved legs I want to use. The bosch might have done it but it also might have ruined the wood.

My dad gave me a cheaper jig saw that was nearly useless. When I got the Bosch I was surprised at the total difference. The first one would take so long to cut a 4x4 post I would not do it. The Bosch will zip through it about as fast as a circular saw. But it is not a really precise tool IMHO. On thin material it can do well. On thick material, not so much. I also use it to cut metal pretty often. Versatile tool that will always have a place in my shop.

Jim, make sure you're using the right blade type for the thicker jobs. They are thicker metal and have larger, sharp, scalloped teeth to compliment the blade length. There is no "perfect" as I mentioned previously, but with the Bosch tool or similar with decent blade guides, the right blade really does make a difference.
    --

While I admittedly own a jigsaw (though not festool) and I do pull it out on occasion -- usually for cutting down very long boards -- it is easily my most despised tool in my shop. Hate that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Michaels View Post
    it is easily my most despised tool in my shop. Hate that thing.
    That's exactly how I felt about my previous jigsaws and why this one pretty much sat unused for several months...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    That's exactly how I felt about my previous jigsaws and why this one pretty much sat unused for several months...
    i have an extremely small garage shop, so every tool needs to pull its own weight. My father in law got me a nice Japanese pull saw last year, and I haven’t touched my jigsaw since. I usually pulled it out for cutting notches and other small tasks.

10” craftsman bandsaw does better on curves.
    track saw does better on straights.

Right now I am struggling to find the use case for a jigsaw in my shop, for my needs. The carvex was on my list, and I like the look of it. But I am likely to just ditch my jigsaw entirely to compensate for the room my new hvlp takes up.

Even, even though I don't use my jigsaw very often, there are times when it's the right tool because of portability and size. So my suggestion would be to keep an open mind around this specific tool. Maybe not buy one on speculation, but if the work you are doing seems like it might benefit from one, then make your move. And in your situation, they don't take up much space when not in use, either.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Even, even though I don't use my jigsaw very often, there are times when it's the right tool because of portability and size. So my suggestion would be to keep an open mind around this specific tool. Maybe not buy one on speculation, but if the work you are doing seems like it might benefit from one, then make your move. And in your situation, they don't take up much space when not in use, either.
    yeah, I have a skill jigsaw that I’ve used for years. Part of the reason I don’t use it much is that it’s not top quality, but it is useful for construction tasks around the home. Maybe I’m just used to working around it/without it these days. Hard to let a tool go, but I have other/better ways for my woodworking right now. If I ever need to cut a lot of curves on stuff too big for my bandsaw, or giant circles, I could see upgrading, but that’s not the kind of work I have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jim, make sure you're using the right blade type for the thicker jobs. They are thicker metal and have larger, sharp, scalloped teeth to compliment the blade length. There is no "perfect" as I mentioned previously, but with the Bosch tool or similar with decent blade guides, the right blade really does make a difference.
    Do you have a specific blade recommendation for straight cuts in thicker hardwoods, that minimizes deflection? (This has always been a problem, and why I never use it for that. I used to have the Bosch barrel grip, now I have the DeWalt, same issues.)