Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet VS Supermax

Jet VS Supermax

So I'm ready to pull the trigger on a drum sander. The Supermax 19-38 is on sale. A bit more then what I need in a drum sander in terms of size. The number of times I will be sanding something that wide will be zero. But the price point, it's worth it. Problem is, they're not shipping 'till mid to late November. I have a very strict rule of never ever ever ordering something that won't be made for a month or two and won't ship till a month after that. Every time I've ordered that way, I've been burned. So I could wait till Rona is over and all these manufacturing and shipping delays sort them selves out.....or I could get a Jet 16-32, which ships tomorrow according to Woodcraft. Seen a lot of bad reviews on the Jet, especially with the belt tracking, which the Supermax doesn't seem to have an issue with. But none of the supermaxes are in stock. How bad is the Jet, really?

I only have the Supermax so I can’t comment on the Jet - but Oh I’m in love with that machine. I’ve got a digital readout on it and it is simply superb. Use it way more than I thought I might.

The Jet is nice, but the wait for the SuperMax is well worth it... In my opinion. Looks to me like the SuperMax 16-32 is also on sale and showing in stock at Woodcraft.com.

I believe there was a recent thread on the same or similar topic...you may want to try to find that.

I had a Performax unit years ago and it was a good tool. My current drum sander is a SuperMax. (I also put the DRO on it because I use both metric and inches, depending on personal or client specifications) It's excellent. I suspect that the Jet is fine, but SuperMax "does sanders".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the SuperMax 16-32 and wouldn't trade it for anything. I use it far more than I thought I would (almost ever project) and it has stayed perfectly adjusted ever since my initial setup of the machine a little over two years ago. The one comment I'll make is be sure you have enough DC for any of the machines. It is very important that you can clear the dust as fast as the machines make it.

I'm very happy with my 19-38, it's the only drum sander I've ever used. I am sanding small parts mostly, for musical instruments, I might not be happy if I was making cutting boards or other large high volume jobs. My old 1 hp Reliant dust collector seems to do fine keeping up with the dust, a little goes on the belt and falls off at the back as the belt rolls along, but not enough to be a problem. I just vacuum it up now and then.

I have the Supermax 16-32 and use it mostly for segmented rings. It works great. I bought mine back in the Spring and have had no problems with it.

Blog Entries
    I bought the Supermax years ago due to complaints about other makers. Maybe the success of the 19-38 has made the others fix their problems (?). Or . . . You could just get the Supermax
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My 16/32 Supermax is absolutely great. The only question is why did I wait so long get it.

The Jet 18-36 was on sale and has a tracking control and feed speed adjustment.
    Should have mine in two weeks after waiting 6 weeks so far.
    Got the extension tables and sandpaper already.

I bought my Jet bandsaw from Woodcraft despite the fact that they did not have one in stock and told me they wouldn't for weeks. Worked out fine. They called earlier than they said and were a pleasure to work with. The short wait was worth it to get a good tool at a good price.

I have had a dual drum 37” Supermax for the last 12 years I bought off a cabinet shop that was upgrading to a wide belt sander. It had to be at least 10 years old when I bought it. All I have ever done is replaced the sand paper, the conveyor belt as it was worn damaged by the previous owner and v-belt on it. I did some fine tuning and the thing is accurate and leaves a great finish. Never used a jet branded up but ���� for supermax

Call Woodwerks to see if they have the Supermax in stock. They had it on their showroom floor when I was there recently.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Don't get sucked into paying $80 for the Supermax casters. You can buy some that will work just fine from Amazon for about $20.

So made the 1.5 hour drive to woodcraft today to order the supermax for in store delivery (no shipping charge). 30 minutes of furious computer typing and mouse clicking later here's what I got: "The computer says the 19-38 will ship Nov 11 and the 18-36 on Nov 20 but for past month or two our experience has been to add 2-4 months to those dates". Further discussion revealed that all suppliers are having all sorts of problems with supply chain due to Rona, which makes sense. Not disputing that Rona has completely disrupted the power tool market. I get it. Again, I've been burned bad on "ordering" a 1000$+ tool that hasn't even been built yet. Disappointed, but I'm not going to drop 1300$ on a tool that "might ship" in March of 2021. Or might ship never. Same issue with jet drum sanders, when I asked, "I need a drum sander what will arrive soonest". What the heck, are WW's making a run on drum sanders? They're now rarer than toilette paper was in march!

"Don't get sucked into paying $80 for the Supermax casters. " I literally had the CC out and was about to pull the trigger on the order. This one WC employee got pretty aggressive about how I "must get the supermax casters and in/out feed tables, all other casters will result in the sander not working", which caused me to dial back and come to the decision not to order. I'm not hoisting up the white flag yet, convince me to order! He also was pretty aggressive about how I was refurbing used planers and damn near got into a fight with me when I wouldn't buy their 350$ LV #7. The other two employees were an absolute pleasure to talk to!

There's a guy selling a "New in box" supermax 18-36 that is a 3 hour 1 way trip on CL, should I make the drive?