Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What are some good outward signs of a well built house?

Wow. I have never done an inspection before the offer and live in Austin — a very hot market. I regularly have agents who schedule a tentative inspection for their client so they can offer a 3 day option period. Multiple offers are common, just did one with 13 offers, and even then clients get some repairs or money. I guess people are willing to give a little when they are getting thousands of dollars over asking.

In our area, the mortgage lenders require an inspection before approving a loan. And another one if its a VA/FHA backed loan.

But I think the OP was just looking for things that could be observed by the potential buyer, on a walk through before considering making an offer. A lot of the defects mentioned wouldn't necessarily be deal-breakers as long as you're aware of them. And part of negotiations.

My builder friends say that they can't build the way they would like to (quality) because most customers only look at the price.

"My builder friends say that they can't build the way they would like to (quality) because most customers only look at the price. "

price vs quality vs sq ft vs location, something typically has to give.

I doubt if few house buyers consider the quality of electrical outlets and switches beyond cosmetics

Blog Entries
    Many thanks to all that contributed. The happy couple have been monitoring this thread. She is an industrial engineer and he is a computer security expert. They both approach this from an analytical point of view and are very grateful. They are preparing a summary checklist that we will go through together.

So thanks again and if you think of anything more, we would be thrilled to read it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    My builder friends say that they can't build the way they would like to (quality) because most customers only look at the price.
    I heard the owner of Pulte homes interviewed on npr once. I was astounded when he said, “My job is to figure out how to build homes without skilled labor.”

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I heard the owner of Pulte homes interviewed on npr once. I was astounded when he said, “My job is to figure out how to build homes without skilled labor.”
    This is also why many large builders...like Toll Brothers...builds components on a factory floor and then the pre-made wall panels are delivered on a flatbed and just "assembled" by the framing labor team. It conceivably helps with quality and consistency but it also cuts labor time in the field as well as reduces the necessary skill set to erect the homes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In California you have to have a termite inspection to get a home loan. I am not sure if there has to be one to buy a house for all cash with no loan. I understand this is law not a custom
    Bill D.

Laws do come into play with home inspections during a title transfer, but invariably, the lender involved in the deal is going to expect various kinds of inspections, too, before they will confirm and pay out on the buyer's loan. My lender required both a general home inspection as well as a termite inspection. I expect the same will be true when we go to sell in a year or three to downsize and am planning accordingly, both as a seller and as a buyer.
    --

I don't recall my lender saying anything about needing a home inspection. I was going to get a home inspection regardless of what the lender required.

I've had that happen more than once, Brian.
    --

In my area, you have to provide a pretty detailed disclosure form. One of the questions is about whether an inspection has been done previously. That is, if an inspection was done and the deal fell through, you are required to share that inspection report with any new potential buyers.

Never had to have an General inspection when buying three different houses in Ohio.
    Did have to have septic inspection, termite inspection, gas inspection on last two.
    Worked on enough houses that inspectors missed major problems thru the years.
    Ron

Someone mentioned it but I would agree (to the point of writing it again) that a blower door & infared are great ways to "see" inside the walls. Age of the house will affect the results of these tests as older houses were not built as "air-tight". Fine Home Building has a podcast and they have talked about this stuff too. I don't remember the episodes but all their episodes are free online.