Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are threads deleted?

Why are threads deleted?

Looks like another interesting thread with lots of excellent posts has been deleted (again on climate change). While I agree there were some posts that deserved to be edited or deleted and posters that deserved to be warned or given a time out, why delete the entire thread? The majority of the posts were well within the forum guidelines (or else the thread wouldn't have lasted so long )and many contained excellent arguments with links to informative articles or else it wouldn't have attracted so many posters.

Why not delete or edit the offending posts, warn the offenders(maybe suspend them for a week or more if they are repeat offenders), freeze the thread for a few days to let people calm down and the reopen with a warning? A lot of effort by posters to research and communicate their points of view went into their posts and deserves to be left up.

kind of way all social meadia is. them in charge can control conversation.

Too often those threads devolve into a small group of people arguing with each other. When that happens, the thread should be closed - most other people are not interested.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Too often those threads devolve into a small group of people arguing with each other. When that happens, the thread should be closed - most other people are not interested.

Mike
    Don't disagree that happens still why delete? Why not do as I suggested? If most people aren't interested they can ignore the thread. Nobody is interested in all the threads.

I'll venture a reason that I've seen happen on other forums: arguing in threads drives away new participants, who mostly came for woodworking info. Not saying I haven't done it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I'll venture a reason that I've seen happen on other forums: arguing in threads drives away new participants...
    Yep. This killed Woodnet.

If it ain't woodworking I'm out, don't need the drama of politics. Can get plenty of that elsewhere.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    If it ain't woodworking I'm out, don't need the drama of politics. Can get plenty of that elsewhere.

Tony
    Then why can't you just ignore the threads that don't interest you? Some of us enjoy a good debate, chance to learn something about important topics. I don't consider climate change or Covid19 to be political they are life issues. Yes some people politicize them and their posts should be deleted not entire threads containing thoughtful polite conversations. I've stopped looking at hundreds of threads that didn't interest me, never once considered leaving the forum, seeing interesting threads deleted does.
    Course this ain't woodworking so I guess your out.

Doug, threads are typically not deleted but rather moved to the Moderator's Forum which removes them from public viewing. Keith has been called to provide evidence in at least one legal case and maybe more. That being said, when the value of the information within a thread doesn't warrant the amount of "moderating" required then it's often moved to the Moderator's forum. Keep in mind, the moderators are all invited volunteers.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I'll venture a reason that I've seen happen on other forums: arguing in threads drives away new participants, who mostly came for woodworking info. Not saying I haven't done it myself.
    THis above 100%.

The only heated arguing allowed should be limited to sharpening.........

I agree with Doug. A respected forum member posted an insightful and intelligent explanation of health care industry dynamics in a heath care thread, and shortly thereafter the thread was shut down. I am not sure he has posted since.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post

Tony
    Exactly!!! Some of the posts had political overtone. This is Sawmill Creek not Politic Creek. The off topic forum is generally good but sometimes the subject takes off in a downward spiral. That and some replies in what I saw were almost personal attacks. Unfortunately respectful disagreement seems to be something that's disappearing. I did comment on at least once but steered clear of the the main topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Doug, threads are typically not deleted but rather moved to the Moderator's Forum which removes them from public viewing. Keith has been called to provide evidence in at least one legal case and maybe more. That being said, when the value of the information within a thread doesn't warrant the amount of "moderating" required then it's often moved to the Moderator's forum. Keep in mind, the moderators are all invited volunteers.
    Thanks Ken, do they ever get moved back so the valuable info they contain is available again?

You've seen the old films where the mad scientist causes a lot of trouble and the village people have to run him out
    with pitch forks and torches? Well, we don't need that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Then why can't you just ignore the threads that don't interest you?
    Typical reaction, I'm supposed to leave, because I don't want to see these threads, but you do.