Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why are threads deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I really struggle with the logic of this idea. If you really are interested in woodworking, why would you quit a forum with tons of valuable content related to woodworking just because a subforum titled "Off Topic" contains posts that are argumentative? Why are you even looking there if all you are interested in is woodworking? All you have to do, and I've said this before, is ignore the threads that you find offensive or not interesting.

I agree with Doug. It's like watching a chorus line. You just pick out your favorite and look at her ...or two
    or three of them. That's why it's chorus girlS instead of chorus girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    ,...but I am a practicing medical professional. In one of the many COVID threads here I did, umm, get out my big hammer and let loose a little bit.

On the one hand I have a public duty to correct health misinformation when I see it, on the other hand I am only licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in Alaska and this website does have a TOS incorporated in the registration process.
    We value input from people who actually know what they're talking about. You're not cranky, you're outraged. Please continue to tell it like it is.

Jim from the Other coast

I really struggle with the logic of this idea. If you really are interested in woodworking, why would you quit a forum with tons of valuable content related to woodworking just because a subforum titled "Off Topic" contains posts that are argumentative? Why are you even looking there if all you are interested in is woodworking? All you have to do, and I've said this before, is ignore the threads that you find offensive or not interesting.
    Because it reflects on the entire community. The TOS was constructed to encourage a family friendly place for woodworkers to gather and discuss woodworking and related in a beneficial and respectful manner. If one area, even though it's not woodworking focused, isn't felt to be friendly, it can and does make people feel unwelcome and can influence whether one joins or remains participative.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think they're doing a very fair job here in allowing some discussion, but keeping it civil. They don't have to do that at all. I'm on two other non-woodworking forums where interesting and knowledgable discussion regularly turned to arguing then to hate and insults. Always its been about politics and religion. So now some topics are forbidden and removed before they start. Forums like this live and die on attracting and keeping new members (hoping they become contributors) and nothing turns new people off more than finding a nest of contentious arguments and insults on things not related to the mission of the forum. Then you see forums die when they shrink to a bunch of regulars talking past each other. I agree there has been a lot of interesting information and opinions on these topics here, because there's so much intelligence and experience among the membership.

Our Terms of Service are not just a long list of rules, they are a promise that everyone makes to each other and that includes our Staff.

We have considered removing our Off-Topic Forum many times over the years. Every time the subject comes up we decide once more that we need a place for people to discuss a variety of topics simply because we establish many friends here and most of the time we feel comfortable with their advice. So if someone needs advice about a truck or insurance its best that we maintain a place where they feel comfortable receiving guidance from friends who in many situations are professionals in their industry. From the Off-Topic Forum many times conversations move to private messaging and possibly email so information can be shared privately. This is a very beneficial source of valuable information.

We are deep into our 18th year online so we are doing some things right. I know the The Creek is not perfect in any respect but that has never been a goal here. We simply try our best to provide a friendly place for everyone to share. I should remind everyone that our Moderators are Members here first. They were chosen not because of their expertise, its their compassion for this Community and willingness to serve that makes them so valuable here.

Thanks for all of the positive comments and constructive criticisms. That's how we learn, grow and improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I agree there has been a lot of interesting information and opinions on these topics here, because there's so much intelligence and experience among the membership.
    This is the reason I started this thread, I don't like to see all that lost just because one or two people can't follow the TOS. I would prefer the offenders posts get deleted, they get a suspension or if appropriate banned and the interesting information remain.

Doug, we do try to do things that way, but honestly, there sometimes is a storm of bad behavior and it's just not worth the time and effort edit a thread post by post, especially given the amount of quoting that also has to be checked and handled. We have to pick our battles when it comes to administering a thread. That's reality, unfortunately.
    --

Don't disagree Jim, it appears that maybe you don't have the tools to efficiently weed out the bad actors so your left no choice but to toss the whole thread.

Jim, I wonder if it would be more effective and efficient, rather than editing the offending posts, what if you cut and pasted them into a PM (and deleted them from the thread) and sent the PM to the offending poster with the message that it is not in accordance with the TOS and leaving it to them to edit and repost or leave deleted? Seems that would be less work for the mods and put the work on the poster to correct his post. At your discretion, you could spell out why it violates the TOS or leave it to the poster to figure it out. You could perhaps help them by giving a link to the TOS. If they repost without fixing it just repeat until they do or just delete the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Our Terms of Service are not just a long list of rules, they are a promise that everyone makes to each other and that includes our Staff.

We have considered removing our Off-Topic Forum many times over the years. Every time the subject comes up we decide once more that we need a place for people to discuss a variety of topics simply because we establish many friends here and most of the time we feel comfortable with their advice. So if someone needs advice about a truck or insurance its best that we maintain a place where they feel comfortable receiving guidance from friends who in many situations are professionals in their industry. From the Off-Topic Forum many times conversations move to private messaging and possibly email so information can be shared privately. This is a very beneficial source of valuable information.

We are deep into our 18th year online so we are doing some things right. I know the The Creek is not perfect in any respect but that has never been a goal here. We simply try our best to provide a friendly place for everyone to share. I should remind everyone that our Moderators are Members here first. They were chosen not because of their expertise, its their compassion for this Community and willingness to serve that makes them so valuable here.

Thanks for all of the positive comments and constructive criticisms. That's how we learn, grow and improve.
    As one who posted quite a few times on the thread that lead us to this discussion, let me add just a couple of things:

1. I very much appreciate the work done by the moderators overall, and the fact that for the most part this is a very civil, intelligent, and helpful place to visit. Double thanks to the staff, and at least one thanks to all the members who make that work.

2. It does seem that the tools available to the moderators are rather limited. It should at least be possible for moderators to easily conclude that the last 3 or 5 or so posts in a thread took it off the rails, easily delete those, and close and freeze the thread, without removing it. Likewise, I think some user tools would help too. Like an automated chance to edit a flagged post to get it in line with the TOS, and, believe it or not, a non-anonymous LIKE and DISLIKE button and counter. Expressing yourself by agreeing with a respectful statement of a case often is sufficient, and means the "too emphatic" disagreement or agreement never gets written.

3. Please preserve the off topic forum. I am continually impressed with the knowledge and thoughtfulness I find there when we get on to a complex topic. On the one hand, this is a community whose primary commonality is a relationship to woodworking, but on the other, it is a window into the thinking and knowledge of many people I would otherwise never get the privilege of learning from. That includes some people who clearly see the world through a very different lens than I do, and some others with whom I share more, but who have much to offer that I would not otherwise run across. Does Global Warming belong in a woodworkers forum? Maybe - trees matter to woodworkers, and they are part of what is at stake. But even if your answer is no, it does belong in a community of thoughtful people looking for answers - and we're that too.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 10-13-2020 at 4:46 PM.

Jim, I wonder if it would be more effective and efficient, rather than editing the offending posts, what if you cut and pasted them into a PM (and deleted them from the thread) and sent the PM to the offending poster with the message that it is not in accordance with the TOS and leaving it to them to edit and repost or leave deleted? Seems that would be less work for the mods and put the work on the poster to correct his post. At your discretion, you could spell out why it violates the TOS or leave it to the poster to figure it out. You could perhaps help them by giving a link to the TOS. If they repost without fixing it just repeat until they do or just delete the post.
    Think about how well that would actually work, not to mention the time/work involved..."generally speaking" the offenders know what they are doing and by agreeing to the TOS when one signs up for the site, there's an expectation that folks have reviewed the rules that they agreed to follow.

So no, it would not be more effective and efficient to take it on that way. it's even been tried from time to time.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Think about how well that would actually work, not to mention the time/work involved..."generally speaking" the offenders know what they are doing and by agreeing to the TOS when one signs up for the site, there's an expectation that folks have reviewed the rules that they agreed to follow.

So no, it would not be more effective and efficient to take it on that way. it's even been tried from time to time.
    Jim, I thought throwing the work of editing the post to meet the TOS back on the poster would be less work than doing the editing for them but you have the first hand experience not me so I guess I'll have to accept you response.

Blog Entries
    This is a thread that needs to be locked down. Same stuff just keeps getting repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    This is a thread that needs to be locked down. Same stuff just keeps getting repeated.
    I politely disagree, the idea that putting the work of editing the post to meet the TOS on the poster instead of the moderator is new and the feedback that it has been tried and doesn't work is also new. Feel free to ignore the thread if you think it's repetitive. If anyone else has ideas on how to help the mods and keep interesting threads from going off the rails they should be welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    If we started locking or deleting repetitive threads, there wouldn't be much left here. Most actual woodworking questions get a perfectly viable answer within the first two responses. We then repeat ourselves for another 10 or 20 or 30 posts.

Unless it's about a Sawstop, in which case it'll be 300 posts ;-)