Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why are threads deleted?

I will add to Keith's comments that the moderation staff has never been under any obligation to explain any necessary action taken with threads or posts. We don't do it and we're not about to start now. Even though every one of us is an individual with our own opinions, when it comes to moderation of this site...which we do voluntarily and it's a lot of work...we try really hard to follow the rules/TOS in doing so. Everyone agreed to that TOS when they signed up, too. In many of the recent threads that got to a point that they were no longer manageable, there was actually a lot of restraint because the topics are relevant in this trying time and there's an understanding that many folks need to discuss things to work through it for themselves...including those of us watching over things. They wouldn't have lasted as long as they did otherwise. What doesn't work, however...is disrespect, abuse and denigration of fellow community members. That's pretty much why anything gets deleted from view around here most of the time...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So, Keith and Jim, if members are breaking the TOS are they being suspended or banned? Seems that would be a more effective way of stopping the unwanted behavior. If their goal was to disrupt the conversations it seems deleting the entire thread achieves their goal.

I always thought that if one has a problem with moderation of a post or thread it was not to be debated in the open forum but done by PM, am I wrong ?
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    I always thought that if one has a problem with moderation of a post or thread it was not to be debated in the open forum but done by PM, am I wrong ?
    Why would you want that discussion behind closed doors? I was hoping this thread might highlight that a lot of people were disappointed when threads get deleted, it seems that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    So, Keith and Jim, if members are breaking the TOS are they being suspended or banned? Seems that would be a more effective way of stopping the unwanted behavior. If their goal was to disrupt the conversations it seems deleting the entire thread achieves their goal.
    I will not comment on specifics, but yes that is a scenario that happens but there is certainly an effort to avoid that. People do come and go...and for a few, the "go" is accelerated by repeated behavior inappropriate for the community.

In a community like this, one should always consider what the "golden rule" teaches us when diving into contentious topics. There is none among us who cannot endeavor to express themselves without, well...being a jerk.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    That is our rule. Anyone who has an issue with something about moderation should always, always, always address that privately with Keith or the moderators. Anyone having an issue with a specific post should use the "report post" function (click on the little triangle with the exclamation point in it at the bottom of the post) and provide an explanation for the concern. (But do not expect a response unless there's a question about it back to you)
    -----

Doug, this thread is not an example of that because your basic question (paraphrased) about "why does this happen" isn't about a specific instance.
    --

The very title is “ off topic forum”. Off topic might be understood to mean off the topic of direct talk about wood and woodworking but about things that might interest woodworkers. After all wood workers are human aren’t they? ever so often a Off Topic catches my attention and sometimes I learn something nd sometimes lm merely entertained. Topics about, cars, computers, latest local weather, and such are not wood related, but often of human activities we all might participate in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ... were tissue-thinly veiled insults,...
    The restraint evident in your description is commendable, and a couple of orders of magnitude better than mine.

I put the 'insults' on Ignore list after the death of a family member was merely an 'anecdote' and another member was called 'Gomer'*. It helps tremendously.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-10-2020 at 9:11 AM. Reason: * - this is actually NOT the member's name

Blog Entries
    Most forums have an off topic area. By definition the one on the Creek should contain only topics not related to wood working. If you don't want to wade through non-woodworking topics, just don't visit that sub-forum. But I agree, just delete inappropriate content and notify the poster, don't delete the whole thread. But it is not my sandbox.
    NOW you tell me...

Off-Topic, in general, is for things that don't fit into the other defined areas of the forum community. But there are some topics that are verboten per the TOS and decent community behavior is expected. Regrettably both have to be enforced from time to time.
    --

Removing threads is not our preference. However sometimes the number of problem posts or how frequent they are created exceeds our ability to maintain a thread. Secondly a thread can lose continuity when posts are removed so the conversation can become impossible to follow. When these situations occur it is best to remove an entire thread.

Note that we do not have a Moderator for every forum here. Most Moderators review multiple forums daily and we all help cover other peoples forums when they are on vacation, sick or extremely busy on a day job. Our Moderators cover a lot of ground every day so the job can take a considerable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I will add to Keith's comments that the moderation staff has never been under any obligation to explain any necessary action taken with threads or posts. We don't do it and we're not about to start now. Even though every one of us is an individual with our own opinions, when it comes to moderation of this site...which we do voluntarily and it's a lot of work...we try really hard to follow the rules/TOS in doing so. Everyone agreed to that TOS when they signed up, too. In many of the recent threads that got to a point that they were no longer manageable, there was actually a lot of restraint because the topics are relevant in this trying time and there's an understanding that many folks need to discuss things to work through it for themselves...including those of us watching over things. They wouldn't have lasted as long as they did otherwise. What doesn't work, however...is disrespect, abuse and denigration of fellow community members. That's pretty much why anything gets deleted from view around here most of the time...
    I absolutely HATE not knowing why a thread I started was deleted. Was it the title of the topic, my initial post, or a reply to the thread that triggered the deletion? I want to know if it was what I wrote that triggered the issue, or something someone else wrote. Often the thread is gone before I can see if someone else wrote something that triggered the deletion.

At times, it seems that something as innocuous as stating "Congress passed a law" can be taken as political and deleted. If I write "Congress passed a law requiring seat belts" that is a fact, not a political opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    If I write "Congress passed a law requiring seat belts" that is a fact, not a political opinion.
    That's to the point.

If a broad, unsubstantiated claim is made - a challenge to produce citations and verifications isn't an insult.

Those that persist in bloviating about topics without responding to challenges are effectively spamming.

Onus Probandi

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Those that persist in bloviating about topics without responding to challenges are effectively spamming.
    Do you have a citation for that? Stand and deliver! :^b

Just an aside......
    As soon as I saw the topic, I felt that the Climate Change thread was ultimately doomed. I was only surprised that it took so long. There are some topics that just get heated - no matter how well intended and polite the original post was. For example, someone posted a perfectly reasonable question in the "Mailbox thread" - now standby and see how long it takes for one or more veiled political comments to roll in.

I've seen the Moderators try hard to manage threads that go crazy. They do the best they can and do it for free. Thanks Mods!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”