Thread: Debate reminded me of a fly story

Blog Entries

Debate reminded me of a fly story

When my dad was in school around 1920, he had a teacher that all the kids hated. It so happened that this fellow like other men of his day wore his hair slicked back. This guy used lard. So my dad, being the mischievous sort, executed a plan.

1. Obtain a quantity of chalk dust in a small match box.
    2. Capture a fly.
    3. Place fly in matchbox and shake to coat fly liberally in chalk dust.
    4. Release fly
    5. Repeat as often as needed

The flies are attracted to the lard and leave little track of chalk on the teachers hair.

no political point of view here. Just a triggered memory from times past.

Flies are attracted to the undead.

Maggots are used with severe infections of the flesh. They are placed over the wound and they will only eat the dead tissue. The living stuff that has a chance of regrowing they will not touch. I would suppose they are raised in sanitry conditions not scooped up from the alley.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Maggots are used with severe infections of the flesh. They are placed over the wound and they will only eat the dead tissue. The living stuff that has a chance of regrowing they will not touch. I would suppose they are raised in sanitry conditions not scooped up from the alley.
    Bil lD.
    Yeah, but the phrase "medical-grade maggots" always just sounded...wrong.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

They also have modern day medical grade leeches. Used to remove stale blood when they reattach a finger etc. I think they are use once throw away. I do not want to be environmentally correct and have a used one. I am not such an animal lover I think it is cruel to kill them after they have sucked out infected blood.
    Bill D.

https://health.usnews.com/health-car...rned-back-time

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    They also have modern day medical grade leeches. Used to remove stale blood when they reattach a finger etc. I think they are use once throw away. I do not want to be environmentally correct and have a used one. I am not such an animal lover I think it is cruel to kill them after they have sucked out infected blood.
    They kill them? I thought they just turned them loose to run for office.

Blog Entries
    Back in my days as a telephone installer someone told me of an incident between two other installers.

One was a bit of a slob and would toss his not always empty lunch bags in the back of his van. The other new a person who worked in a lab at Chevron Research Ortho Division. He acquired a cup full of maggots the lab always had on hand for chemical tests. He put them in the other persons van and waited for the hatching.

After that the first person was less of a slob about keeping his van clean.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)