Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Car/Truck Cargo Abilties for Sheet Goods?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    To avoid getting rained on.
    Maybe consider this https://kerryallpouch.com/
    index_truck.jpg

I had a 2000 Chevy Suburban and later a 2007 Escalade, I could put 4x8 sheets in them with the rear row of seats removed and the middle row folded down.

When I decide to trade the Escalade in for a new SUV, I looked at the GMC Denali Yukon, but they had redesigned the rear seats (3rd row) to fold flush, but this reduced the interior height by about 5". A few times, I'd only just managed to get a large item in the rear of the Escalade, so I went back to a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I have a Dodge Caravan. It will haul 4x8 sheets and still close the hatch, but barely.
    I have a 2002 Chevy Venture van, same thing basically- how well sheets fit depends on how close you can move the front seats forward and still drive
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Seem that about 90% of even pickup trucks are too small to carry a sheet of plywood without leaving the tailgate down (which presumably explains the number of pieces of plywood, OSB, and drywall littering the highways). One wonders what in the world those trucks with the micro-beds are used for.

I had Suburbans back in our serious canoe camping days, they would hold a 4x8 sheet with the tailgate closed. Don't know if that's still true of the modern gussied up ones.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Seem that about 90% of even pickup trucks are too small to carry a sheet of plywood without leaving the tailgate down (which presumably explains the number of pieces of plywood, OSB, and drywall littering the highways). One wonders what in the world those trucks with the micro-beds are used for.

I had Suburbans back in our serious canoe camping days, they would hold a 4x8 sheet with the tailgate closed. Don't know if that's still true of the modern gussied up ones.
    My current F150's got a 6' bed. Then again, so did my 1972 GMC K25. Short beds have been around forever.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I'm another trailer person. We've had Subaru Outbacks for the past 13 years or so, so sheet goods don't fit. I had a Harbor Freight trailer for 4 years and it was fine, the best thing about it was that you could take the sides off and use it as a flatbed, so when I retired from parting out tractors I was able to load pallets of leftover tractor parts on the trailer and the auctioneer could take them off with a forklift when I arrived with each load. For the last 4 years I've had a 5x8 Carry-On trailer from Tractor Supply, it's not as well balanced as the HF but the folding ramp/tailgate is very handy and it's stronger overall. The hinges rusted up on it last year, so I bought a new set and welded them in. Now I can take the tailgate off if I should ever want to. I try to pick up sheet goods and lumber on dry days, but a lot can be done with a tarp if necessary.

Leave the tail gate up and put the sheet goods on top. I've been doing that for years (decades) with Ford Rangers. Just gotta pay attention to the weather. A trailer is also viable as long as you have a place to store it when not in use.

~6.5' beds are pretty much standard with most pick-em-up-truck configurations these days which focus more on cabin size and comfort. (there are a few ~5.5' versions, too) You can still get "work trucks" with 8' beds for sure, but not generally with the higher seating capacities most folks want for a personal vehicle. They are also beasts to turn/park. So yea...the tailgate stays down and some folks clearly are not skilled at securing their loads. Of course, that's important with a trailer, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Even with today's pickups handling sheet goods isn't straightforward. My '16 GMC Canyon's bed interior has embossed indentations that I use with 2x6s cut to fit, which support 4x8 sheets above the wheel wells and a "stool" I place on the tailgate to support the load full length.

thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail.jpg

Luckily this bed also has tie downs in each corner.

I had a 2007 Canyon, it had a stop on the tailgate strap that left it level with the wheel arches. That was cool.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I have a Dodge Caravan. It will haul 4x8 sheets and still close the hatch, but barely. The fit for 4x8 sheets is really tight and you generally can't carry more than a few sheets due to the design. It feels like the engineers/designers were given a directive that a 4x8 sheet must fit, but don't include any extra space.

99% of the time I use my 6x10 utility trailer instead. It is way easier to get 4x8 sheets in and out of the trailer.
    i have a 2014 Chrysler Town and country. I agree with Brian. about two 3/4” sheets will fit. I’m 6’-3” and put my seat all the way back. If I remove the center console and move my seat forward, I can get more in there. I hauled About 20 sheets of osb in two trips when I lined my shop walls.

Our parameters for getting the mini Van was that we had to be able to seat 6 people and haul a sheet of plywood on a whim. The Chrysler satisfied that.

if you are willing to compromise, the roof rack on the Nissan Exterra is good. I hauled a lot of plywood in that thing. But I was never comfortable in it. One other consideration with the Exterra is how hard it is for a short or elderly person. My mom had an awful time but she was over 100. If I had thought about that when I bought the car, I would have kept looking.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 10-09-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Another vote for a trailer. I don’t put sheet goods or dirty/rusty/sawdust filled machines in my car anymore. SOOO much better. Easily haul mulch and topsoil and whatever else too.

Honestly I don’t even see why so many people have pickups when a trailer does the job better. Yes I know contractors and RV owners and such need them for the towing capability, but Harry Homeowner doesn’t need a pickup. I have a Subaru Ascent with plenty of hauling capacity, supports trailer brakes, and can carry 8 people - well it did before COVID!

Regarding rain, the Kerry all pouch is an option or just designing your own with a tarp or trailer cover.

Is there a good way to determine if a car or truck has the ability to accept an entire sheet of 4x8 sheet goods (plywood, drywall, MDF, etc) and still close the trunk?
    I don't know a general product specification that reveals that information. However, if a vehicle has that capacity, I think it will be proudly advertised. A 2012 Toyota Sienna van with the middle seats removed and the back ones folded down can hold a 4x8 ft sheet of material with the back door closed. I had no trouble finding that out before I bought the van.

Really amazed at the HF trailer, seems perfect for my uses.

FWIW, why Seattle has a reputation for raining, the part of the Midwest I'm in has consistently had more rainy days. I've also had a few bad days with getting caught in an unexpected shower and ruining stuff. Even once is too many times, IMHO.

@Matt Day - I don't think the selection of a pickup truck is always driven by practical considerations. However the one my dad usually uses is that he wants to be able to "see" what's going on, and you can definitely see better in the higher cabin of a truck than a car. I've had a few more accidents (though nothing serious in a decade or two) than he did, so maybe there's something to that. OTOH, I find that my car is far more nimble, and I never have an issue with the wheels skidding out on rainy days. Had that issue when I borrowed my brothers truck a while back, and nearly had an accident because I wasn't expecting it.

I don't think the selection of a pickup truck is always driven by practical considerations.
    Heh. My dad always referred to his Silverado as a "Texas Cadillac".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.