Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: picture frames

picture frames

I know this has been asked a thousand times,,,but its hit and miss when I make a picture frame getting all the corners square on the miter joint,,,i use the incra 1000se,set it to 45 degrees use a stop block,,,a new 60 tooth blade,,check the blade to the table using digal angle guage,,,and I still cant get a square cut going thru the miter joint,,and i use the 4 corner band clamp for gluing it up,,,,any info would be a big help

When you do a test cut on scrap and measure the angle, is it exactly 45°? Incra has docs on how to set it if it is not.

Be sure to eliminate any movement between the slider and the table saw slot. This was a biggie for me as my table saw slot was not consistent in its width.

You've said that you use a stop block, but if the piece can move at all when you are cutting it, clamp it down. It's had to hold a piece by hand and move it through the blade at the same time.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Having the same difficulties. I think big power tools are easily thrown off when making the relatively small angle cuts for frames. I settled on using a miter trimmer to touch up all picture frame miters. If you're not familiar here's a link to FWW article on them (not sure if its beyond the paywall): https://www.finewoodworking.com/2020...-miter-trimmer For very small frames I use a Nobex manual saw with miter box.

But a lot of the problem for me is getting the lengths of parallel sides exactly even, and sometimes you're chasing your tail when trimming them.

PS I also realized that my Kreg miter gauge had a little bit of wiggle in the stop block mechanism.

I use a shooting board for this, it makes a square 45 pretty trivial. Costs some scrap and a hand plane (which is useful to have around anyway)
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Obviously the tablesaw has to be well aligned so we'll assume that. I use an Incra V-27. I have an Incra extrusion I added to it back before the more fancy Incra gauges were offered. Two things that made my miters air-tight:

5X5 Frame (16).jpg

I faced the extrusion with 220 grit sandpaper and was surprised by how much more control I had over the stock. I thought I was holding it tight enough but, the addition of the sandpaper proved me wrong.

The other thing I did was to add a 45 degree stop block. This went a long ways to assuring identical length parts once one end was cut at a 45. I set the gauge to 45 degrees using the laser-cut teeth, set the stop block for the length of one pair of parts, cut them, then adjust it for the second set and cut them. The wooden stop block is just clamped to the extrusion. The blue metal stop is used to cut parts to length prior to mitering.

V-27 Mods (4).jpg

Once you develop a method that works for you, you can really crank them out.

11-14-frame (25).jpgTylerWeddingFrame (3).jpgwalnut and yellow heart.JPGFrame with Inlay (19).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-08-2020 at 3:15 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a friend with the first machine (green) in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQicYxl5Igk. It cuts great picture frames but is a bit much for my shop and infrequent making of picture frames. I have tried a table saw sled but get better (although not great) results with my CMS. Getting both parallel sides exactly the same length seems to be my issue. It only takes a tiny difference to open up a joint.

The cutting tools must be precise - and so must the wood pieces - width, thickness, length, straight no twist - wood isn't always cooperative

Blog Entries
    Although pretty simple, I have found that feeding the stock through the blade very slowly helps. Maybe the blade flexes or the stock moves maybe somebody smarter than i am can comment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    I know this has been asked a thousand times,,,but its hit and miss when I make a picture frame getting all the corners square on the miter joint,,,i use the incra 1000se,set it to 45 degrees use a stop block,,,a new 60 tooth blade,,check the blade to the table using digal angle guage,,,and I still cant get a square cut going thru the miter joint,,and i use the 4 corner band clamp for gluing it up,,,,any info would be a big help
    If you're going to cut them off a miter gage, then everything - the miter-slot to blade alignment, the tracking of the gage in the slot, and the 45 setting on the gage have to be spot on. Lot's of tutorials on each of these to get you there.

But, while I appreciate having my saw that well dialed in, and do, I don't use it for doing frames. A much better bet is to build a miter sled, and make sure you cut the miters using opposite slides of the sled block for each corner, with a consistent face-up or face-down orientation of the sticks. That way, as long as you nail the 90 degree square on the sled block, you're going to get a great fit, as errors in the miter cuts cancel.

However, if you're cutting out of solid wood, note also that you need to make sure your wood moisture is normalized. Any significant movement of the wood after cutting will cause you trouble in your miter joints. I've seen people cut some miters, leave them set overnight, and find they don't fit 24 hours later, due to drying in the shop environment.

Shooting board. The best thing I ever built. That and a low angel jack plane have saved me a lot of frustration.

5 cut method,,,, align miter gauge,,,
    Lion miter trimmer is a joy to use here too,,,

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Obviously the tablesaw has to be well aligned so we'll assume that. I use an Incra V-27. I have an Incra extrusion I added to it back before the more fancy Incra gauges were offered. Two things that made my miters air-tight:

I

11-14-frame (25).jpgTylerWeddingFrame (3).jpgwalnut and yellow heart.JPGFrame with Inlay (19).jpg
    Those frames are absolutely stunning Glenn -- nice work! Not just the construction... but the design and finish are also very nicely done.

I agree with Steve....just make a miter sled for frames and be forever done with it. As he said, any error will be cancelled out. I still use one I made 12-15 years ago.....still accurate.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henderson2 View Post
    Those frames are absolutely stunning Glenn -- nice work! Not just the construction... but the design and finish are also very nicely done.

Thanks Tom.

To everybody: Like most of us I have had an array of tools to do the things I want to do. Along the journey some have been good, others not so good, some should have never gotten to the house . When I had a contractor saw I aligned it the best I could for 90 degrees. For frames I still had better results with a miter sled and a shooting board than I ever got off the miter gauge . My hybrid did much better with the same miter gauge. Depending on scale, many things still got tuned or 'fit' via hand tools . . . and still do. My cab saw is near 100% on accuracy if my clumsiness doesn't get in the way. Any mishaps can again be touched up on a shooting board.

The point being that there is no one answer for a lot of the things we discuss on here and that's the best part of a forum. The OP gets answers from a variety of folks finding success or failure with a variety of methods. Try many things and you will find a successful method that works for you. Kudos to all the great folks on here who share so openly. I guess that's my 'happy thought' for the day. Either that or there's more caffeine in this coffee than I thought.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Glenn, very nice work!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.