Thread: bed frame size question

bed frame size question

I'm aware of the different size mattresses but what should the bed frame size be?

I'm building a king, 76" x 80". Let's call the area where the mattress goes, "The pocket". In building a bed frame, what size should the frame itself be (inside dimensions) you know, the pocket where the mattress will be placed. Should there be some increase over he size of the mattress? How much?

Left to my own devices, I'd make the pocket 1.5" larger in eacg direction. But unsure, and I don't want a too sloppy or too tight a fit. Also, mattresses themselve come and go.

I gave away our bed already, so I don't have the old one to measure and I cant go to a store with a tape measure.

Thanks!

Calvin

Very interested in the same thing. Don't know how much is reasonable to add in order to accommodate bedding and facilitate bed making.

I once built a king bed for a couple who were buying the mattress for it. They chose to buy two twin XL mattresses, because hauling a one-piece king mattress upstairs was going to be a challenge. Their mattress store had recommended this. Twin XL mattresses are nominally 38x80, exactly half of the nominal size of a king -- 76x80. I delivered the bed, and everybody was happy. Then the XL twins arrived. They turned out to be a shade over 36 wide, so combined they were 4" too narrow. The mattress store said "Gee, I dunno, that's what we get". The homeowners went through the store's entire supply of twin XL mattresses, and found they were all that width. Then they measured the store's king mattresses. They were 74", so that's what's on the bed now.

Lesson: get the big mattress first, then build the bed.

I think your guess of an inch and a half longer and wider than the mattress is about right. I made mine a tighter fit and have to lift the mattress to tuck the fitted sheet, which is an annoyance. With a box spring, you could probably go for a tighter fit if the mattress sits above the side rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I think your guess of an inch and a half longer and wider than the mattress is about right. I made mine a tighter fit and have to lift the mattress to tuck the fitted sheet, which is an annoyance. With a box spring, you could probably go for a tighter fit if the mattress sits above the side rails.
    Thanks everyone. That is great info; I'm happy I asked. Jon, do you think 1.5" each way is enough? I will have a box spring with the mattress over the rail but still needs to fit nicely between head and foot.

I have done a couple of beds, one a double and the next a queen. The double, based on a plan from a woodworking mag, is too short and a little too wide. The queen at 82 1/2" long and 60 1/2 wide is probably an 1" too long yet should be at least 1 1/2" wider. I believe that 3/4 - 1" clearance on each of the edges should be fine.

We just got a new mattress for the queen and ditched a box springs so it is now a platform bed. The narrow width of the frame is a problem since the mattress must be lifted to fit the sheets. The extra length helps make this much easier, though. Good luck.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I built a King size bed. The inner width from side frame to side frame (not from headboard to footboard) is 78 inches. My King boxspring is 76 inches. Although the box spring fits easily in this pocket, sometimes the boxspring will shift to butt against one side, leaving a 2 inch gap. I do not like this. I think it looks sloppy and you can bump your foot against this getting out of bed. If I did it again, I would make the pocket only 1 wider, or better yet, 1/2 inch wider than the boxspring. That would leave 1/2 inch on each side, or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I built a King size bed. The inner width from side frame to side frame (not from headboard to footboard) is 78 inches. My King boxspring is 76 inches. Although the box spring fits easily in this pocket, sometimes the boxspring will shift to butt against one side, leaving a 2 inch gap. I do not like this. I think it looks sloppy and you can bump your foot against this getting out of bed. If I did it again, I would make the pocket only 1 wider, or better yet, 1/2 inch wider than the boxspring. That would leave 1/2 inch on each side, or less.
    Would a tight fit interfere with bed making? Wrestling a king mattress gets tougher as the years go by, so ease of making the bed has to factor in somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Would a tight fit interfere with bed making? Wrestling a king mattress gets tougher as the years go by, so ease of making the bed has to factor in somewhere.
    Ted, if the mattress is on a box spring it is usually above the side rails so a closer fit of the box spring does not interfere with making the bed. I double checked with my wife and she agrees. I would go 1/2 to 1 inch total pocket size side to side for the box spring. Here is a picpic.jpg of mine with box spring pushed to one side - I do not like the gap.

Thanks, Mark. I wasn't factoring in the height of the box springs in my thinking. I can see where the gap would be annoying. Maybe a spacer on each side would keep the box spring centered?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Thanks, Mark. I wasn't factoring in the height of the box springs in my thinking. I can see where the gap would be annoying. Maybe a spacer on each side would keep the box spring centered?
    Ted, a spacer is a good idea - that way I could keep the gap at 1", equal on both sides.

My store sells mattresses and I’d be happy to post measurements of the various frames we have. BUT, I would highly advise getting the foundation and mattress first, then build the frame to fit, while also accommodating whatever linen skirts, bed spreads, etc, and bed making.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    My store sells mattresses and I’d be happy to post measurements of the various frames we have. BUT, I would highly advise getting the foundation and mattress first, then build the frame to fit, while also accommodating whatever linen skirts, bed spreads, etc, and bed making.
    Good advice Phil, definitely get the foundation and mattress first.